FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25761] Mon, 20 June 2005 16:10 Go to next message
keneisman is currently offline  keneisman   United States
When runnning the Compact Messages from the Admin Control panel, I get this error:

Disabling the forum for the duration of maintenance run

Please wait while forum is being compacted.
This may take a while depending on the size of your forum.
Compacting normal messages...
FATAL ERROR: system has ran out of disk space

I checked the drive that all the forum files are on and it has 67 Gig free.

Any ideas? This is after I've successfully run a Forum Consistency and Rebuild Search Index.

I was running these tools because I tried editing a message and when I hit the submit button, I just got garbage.

Here's my system config:
System Configuration
PHP built On: Windows NT MAIL01 5.2 build 3790
Database Version: 4.1.11-nt
PHP Version: 5.0.4
Web Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
WebServer to PHP interface: isapi
Forum Version: 2.6.13
Relavent PHP Settings: Safe Mode: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display Errors: OFF
File Uploads: ON
Magic Quotes: OFF
Register Globals: OFF
Output Buffering: Yes
Disabled Functions: none
PSpell Support: Yes
Zlib Support: Yes

Thanks
Ken

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 16:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25762 is a reply to message #25761] Mon, 20 June 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you upgrade then .14RC1 and try again?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25768 is a reply to message #25762] Mon, 20 June 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I run the upgrade script, I get this output:

Checking if SQL permissions to perform the upgrade are avaliable
Disable the forum
Forum is now disabled
Beginning the file upgrade process
Begining to decompress the archive
Finished decompressing the archive
File Upgrade Complete
Any changed files were backed up to: "c:/GEMSForumData/errors/.backup/"

Beginning SQL Upgrades
SQL Upgrades Complete
Setting default theme

Notice: Undefined index: LANGUAGE in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gemsforum\upgrade.php on line 1291

Notice: Undefined index: LOCALE in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gemsforum\upgrade.php on line 1291
Adding GLOBAL Variables
Compiling theme default

Warning: file_get_contents(c:/GEMSForumData/thm/default/i18n//charset) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\GEMSForumData\include\compiler.inc on line 608
Missing Message entry custom_avatar_queue inside i18n//msg
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25770 is a reply to message #25768] Mon, 20 June 2005 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just re-ran the upgrade script after making sure that the themes table had 'english' in the lang field and 'c' in the locale field but got the same results.

Before I run the script, the themes table looks like this:

mysql> select * from gemsforum_themes;
+----+---------+---------+---------+---------+-------------+-----------+
| id | name | theme | lang | locale | pspell_lang | theme_opt |
| 1 | default | default | english | C | en | 3 |
| 3 | Test | default | english | english | | 0 |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

After I run the script (and get the error messages), the themes table looks like this:

mysql> select * from gemsforum_themes
-> ;
+----+---------+---------+------+--------+-------------+-----------+
| id | name | theme | lang | locale | pspell_lang | theme_opt |
| 1 | default | default | | | | 3 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I also checked c:\GEMSForumData\include\compiler.inc and it DOES exist.

Thanks
Ken

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 19:10]

Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25772 is a reply to message #25770] Mon, 20 June 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken, I think your problem lies in the fact that schema was made using one MySQL version and usage is done by other that is not compatible.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25773 is a reply to message #25772] Tue, 21 June 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you talking about maybe you are developing on one version of MySQL and I'm trying to run the forum on a different version of MySQL?

If so, what version are you running and do you think I can change (upgrade/downgrade) my version to be compatible?

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25782 is a reply to message #25773] Tue, 21 June 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No no, you misunderstand me.

When you 1st installed the forum you probably were using one version of MySQL library and when running upgrade using another. This means that the PHP extension communicating with MySQL couldn't handle the column name properly, making them appear as spaces causing the problem you are seeing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25786 is a reply to message #25782] Tue, 21 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't made any changes to MySQL that I know of. Earlier, you may recall, I had the tables defaulting to InnoDB but I changed it to default to MyISAM. I did a new install since then, though.

Can I try backing up using FF's backup utility, uninstalling, re-installing and then restoring from the backup? Then I can upgrade to .14RC1?

Or is there a better way to fix this?

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25787 is a reply to message #25786] Tue, 21 June 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I suspect the error was caused by InnoDB to MyISAM conversion.
If you have backups, the best solution would be to restore the old InnoDB tables and then recreate the one table that needs to be MyISAM

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25788 is a reply to message #25787] Tue, 21 June 2005 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've changed the tables back to InnoDB, ran the update but got the same errors as before about not having lang and locale values in the themes table. Added english and C respectively. Got the forum up. It now shows that I'm at .14RC1 but I still get the disk space error when I try to run Compacting database AND the time display is still not correct. So I suspect that the upgrade is not completely complete.

Any suggestions?

Can I do a completely new install and import the data from my old forum into the new one? I tried a test but I got an error about a log_action table not existing.

I really apologize for taking up so much of your time, but I do appreciate it and I'm really enjoying your product.

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25789 is a reply to message #25788] Tue, 21 June 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I clicked on Rebuild Theme in the themes manager and now I just get a blank, white IE window. The themes directories appear to be intact.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get the forum back? I'm pretty sure it has to do with themes.

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25790 is a reply to message #25789] Tue, 21 June 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, Ilia, this is what I've done...

I installed .14RC1 in a new directory (test) using the install script. I used a new database (GEMSForum_2) but I used the same table prefix as I used with my original database (GEMSForum_). Then I restored tables one at a time into the new database from the old database. This worked fine until I tried restoring the users table. At that point, I got the blank IE window instead of the expected forum. I undid the restore on the users table by restoring it from the backup I had made of the virgin (GEMSForum_2) database. So now, my test forum is just like my original forum except for the users.

Is there any way for me to import the users from the old database using a sql statement or something?

Thanks
Ken

BTW, the Compacting Database STILL fails with the disk space error, although the time now displays correctly! Smile
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25791 is a reply to message #25790] Tue, 21 June 2005 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use mysqldump command to dump the table contents in the form of a INSERT query list, then change the name and populate the new table with this data.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25792 is a reply to message #25791] Tue, 21 June 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, that has the same result. When I try to navigate to the forum, all I get is a blank page. When I restore the table back (just the admin and anonymous coward), then the forum displays correctly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25793 is a reply to message #25792] Tue, 21 June 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does the dump only contain INSERT queries?
After adding those users did you run consistency checker?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25797 is a reply to message #25793] Tue, 21 June 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, there was not just an insert. The script was dropping the table and creating a new one. So, I tried just using the insert command and, apparently, the new table has a different number of columns than the old one.

Now I'm manually writing down the columns in the old and new users tables to compare them. I'm not familiar with MySQL or SQL statements in general, so, if there is an easier way, I'd be very glad to hear it. Otherwise, I'll continue to manually compare the tables and then I'll adjust the INSERT command so that it works with the new table.

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25801 is a reply to message #25797] Tue, 21 June 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay,

I was able to get that to work. Now, is there any way that I can move my test forum so that users can get to it using the old URL. Right now, to get to the test forum you type mail.co.matagorda.tx.us/test. I need it to be mail.co.matagorda.tx.us/gemsforum.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25802 is a reply to message #25801] Wed, 22 June 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you are using Apache, you can use mod_rewrite to do this.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25810 is a reply to message #25761] Wed, 22 June 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still getting the fatal disk space error.

I backed up my installation using the MySQL administrator with NO ADD/DROP statements (INSERT INTO only).

Then I completely wiped out my FF installation including the MySQL database.

I installed .14RC1 from scratch.

Then I used the backup I had created to import my old data into the new installation. I'm confident that the import did NOT change any of the database schema, it ONLY added data to the tables created by .14RC1 install.

Everything else SEEMS to be working fine. I just don't know about this error while compacting messages. If it helps, the error message is being generated at line 77 in compact.php.

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25811 is a reply to message #25810] Wed, 22 June 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The fatal disk space error will likely be fixed by this patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=3605

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25814 is a reply to message #25811] Wed, 22 June 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that patch fixed it!

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25822 is a reply to message #25814] Wed, 22 June 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the patch fixed the error message but it seems to have wiped out all my messages!

The messages appear in the forums. Subject intact. If they were edited, the edited line is there. They all contain a message saying "No Message Body."

Any suggestions on getting them back?

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25850 is a reply to message #25822] Thu, 23 June 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have any files inside messages/ directory, if so how big are they?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25853 is a reply to message #25850] Thu, 23 June 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I had one that looked like it had all my messages contained in it.

However, I've now fixed this particular problem from a backup.

I've noticed some other oddities with compacting messages that I'm trying to research right now. I wanted to have some useful information to post before I started asking for help. It seems that some of my messages are getting munged when I do a compact. I'm still researching, but basically when I do a compact, sometimes the last few characters of one message will be moved to another message.

I'll continue digging for details to let you know what's happening.

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25861 is a reply to message #25853] Thu, 23 June 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I've found out about munged messages after compacting:

1. It happens between messages in the same forum, not between forums.
  2. It seems to only be happeing after an edit. New messages don't cause this behavior.
  3. Apparently the foff column in the msg table is being rewritten incorrectly. For instance,
    • I have 2 messages in a forum - msg 1 and msg 2
    • The foff value for msg 1 is 0, length=251 and the foff value for msg 2 is 251, length=959
    • I run the compact messages
    • Now foff for msg 1 is 2420,length=251 and foff value for msg 2 is now 2671,length=959
  4. I don't know if the file in the messages directory (msg_10000) is supposed to change or not but it appears as though it hasn't changed.
  5. If I manually reset the foff values to their original settings, my messages are back.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
compact.php is version 1.50

Thanks
Ken
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25882 is a reply to message #25861] Fri, 24 June 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
try running this version:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=3617

FYI: I cannot replicate the bug here.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25888 is a reply to message #25882] Fri, 24 June 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That didn't work.

I've attached dumps of the msg table before and after the compact.

You can see that it looks like, in forums with only one message, the length value is being doubled and placed in the foff column (440 = 2*220). In forums with multiple messages, the lowest changed foff - the lowest original foff is a multiple (2X in one case and 3X in the other) of the sum of the lengths of all the messages in the forum. (6142-1500 = 2(1547+774))

Are these message offsets/lenghts stored in any other tables or files?

If there is anything else I can do to help track this down, please let me know.

Thanks
Ken
  • Attachment: msg_chg.txt
    (Size: 4.08KB, Downloaded 580 times)
  • Attachment: msg_orig.txt
    (Size: 4.08KB, Downloaded 538 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 04:11]

Re: Compatcting Database: Fatal disk space error [message #25920 is a reply to message #25888] Fri, 24 June 2005 17:58 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Offsets for messages are ONLY stored inside this table.

I've so far tried to replicate the bug on latest CVS version of the forum on win32 and unix and cannot.

Try adding debug code to message writing code inside the compact.php script to see where things "go wrong".

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Adm lockout..
Next Topic: Sorting by join date
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 05:25:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04165 seconds