FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Multiple forum areas with one DB
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26050] Sun, 03 July 2005 08:42 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

I would like to convert my E-mail and Usenet archives to FUDForum, but want to keep them as different sections of my site. Would it be possible to have different website areas working on a singe database (singe user and message base)?

Something like this might work:

1. Add a numeric column, "website_area" to the fud26_cat table.

2. Add parameter a=? to restrict viewing to the categories of a specific area. Default will be to display all categories as is currently the case.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26057 is a reply to message #26050] Sun, 03 July 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can import your newgroup to a particular category (I assume there is >1 newsgroup). Then create a special group controlling access to all forums inside that category.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26060 is a reply to message #26057] Sun, 03 July 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   South Africa
Yes, but all categories (and their forums) will still be listed on a single index page. I need a mechanism to only display certain categories on sections of the website.

For example, when a user navigates to the USENET Archives, they should only see the selected category containing the USENET forums.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26062 is a reply to message #26060] Sun, 03 July 2005 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Then you need to adjust the code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26063 is a reply to message #26062] Sun, 03 July 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, I realize that. How difficult do you think it would be? Any tips to get me started?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #26074 is a reply to message #26063] Mon, 04 July 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The way I'd do it, is setup the group permissions as I've told you and then add a tiny bit of code to overload the user's identify if they access resources of the forum containing nntp archives.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple forum areas with one DB [message #27134 is a reply to message #26074] Sun, 28 August 2005 11:09 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is still at the top of my wish list. FUDForum is far too powerful to constrain to a single website section.

Best regards.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Bulk processing for User CP --> Subscriptions
Next Topic: "Save outgoing PM" toggle in User CP-->Settings and form
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 10:08:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05288 seconds