FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Umask problems with mailing list integration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Umask problems with mailing list integration [message #26388] Tue, 19 July 2005 21:30 Go to next message
blackops is currently offline  blackops   United States
My FUDforum version: 2.6.15.

I have successfully set up several instances of FUDforum + mailing lists. However, on a particular client's server, the configuration is somewhat non-standard. As a result, some scripts are running as non-standard users.

One of the negative side effects I've found is that, when I post for the the first time to a given forum, the umask for the [non-browseable-directory]/message/msg_n00000 file is not set broadly enough that all the necessary processes will complete successfully.

Example: if a mailing list user is the first to post to the list, then the permissions are
-rw-------

Then, when a web user tries to reply or post a new message for that forum, he gets an error, because the php script running under the web user is not the owner of the file.

Conversely, if a web user first posts to a given forum, then the permissions are
-rw-r--r--

This is a little better, but still doesn't work, because the mailing list user (which is the user that runs maillist.php when it is triggered in the .qmail file) is not the owner.

Basically, I'd like the file to be created with the following permissions in all cases:
-rw-rw-r--

That way, regardless of who creates the first message, the cross posting will work.

The bigger issue here, of course, is that I do not understand how the umasks are set in the FUDforum code. There is a seemingly random string (GLOBALS.php: FUD_OPT_2), against which various operations are done to determine the appropriate umask for a given command. I have not been able to devote the necessary time/effort to figure out what is going on with this.

Anyway, if anybody can explain to me how to get the umask I want, that would be wonderful.

Thanks ahead of time, one and all.
Re: Umask problems with mailing list integration [message #26389 is a reply to message #26388] Tue, 19 July 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is a specific file unlock admin control panel to "release" secure file permissions on forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Umask problems with mailing list integration [message #26700 is a reply to message #26389] Thu, 04 August 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackops is currently offline  blackops   United States
I know about the forum lock/unlock. However, I don't want to leave the files unlocked at all times. That would be necessary if unlocking the files was the only solution to helping the files be created with the proper permissions. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks.
Re: Umask problems with mailing list integration [message #26705 is a reply to message #26700] Thu, 04 August 2005 17:30 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, unlocking is really the only solution unless you will make the script under the same username as the web server.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: zlib version seems to decompress...
Next Topic: Permission denied - out of disk space...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 23:43:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02763 seconds