FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » PHP discussions » php shell execution damn slow on windows
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
php shell execution damn slow on windows [message #26394] Wed, 20 July 2005 04:44 Go to next message
ligesh is currently offline  ligesh   India

I am runing a server program on windows using the php5 cli. There ws a bug in socket_read, which i worked around, but currently the problem is that any shell execution takes around 2.3 seconds to complete.

Could anyone help me with this?

Another problem is the file system accesss. How do i access the whole permission thingy in windows. the stat returns the standard unix kind of stat thing, which doesn't provide all the information for a windows NT filesystem. IN the same vein, how do i chmod on windows? chown, chgrp, etc...

Does all of these work properly on windows? I checked the net, but information seems to be scarce in the net.

Thanks.
Re: php shell execution damn slow on windows [message #26410 is a reply to message #26394] Thu, 21 July 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The speed issue was solved. I was running my program from zsh command line on sfu (Services for Unix). I switched to DOS command line and the now the execution time is .04 seconds.

So it must be some environment of the sfu that screws up shell execution.

OK, so anyone here using php on windows?

Thanks.
Re: php shell execution damn slow on windows [message #26411 is a reply to message #26410] Thu, 21 July 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I use it via cygwin (bash) and that seems pretty quick.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: php shell execution damn slow on windows [message #31408 is a reply to message #26394] Fri, 21 April 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
richardlynch is currently offline  richardlynch   United States
If you are running cygwin or some other Un*x emulator on Windows, then, most likely, the standard permissions stuff would work.

If you're asking if Windows has things like Un*x permissions, that's a whole 'nother kettle of worms...

See, first you have to be real specific about your version of Windows, because some versions have some things sort of like Un*x perms, and some verions have things not really like that, and some have, well, nothing, really.

Whatever they *DO* have, you get to it by right-clicking on the file or directory and poking around in "Properties" and "Advanced" until you find it, because even in the versions that have the stuff like Un*x perms, it got moved around and changed in the GUI so much that nobody can tell you where to find it.

Disclaimer: I rarely use Windows, but this has been my personal experience with trying to help those people who insist on using Windows. YMMV
Re: php shell execution damn slow on windows [message #33367 is a reply to message #26394] Mon, 28 August 2006 20:27 Go to previous message
PHP5.0 was buggy as hell. It wasn't even meant to work on windows. With php5.1 its OK now.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 August 2006 20:28]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: php/sql design help
Next Topic: Creating Simple Redirect links
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 19:04:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02729 seconds