FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Xtended Troll Features...
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Xtended Troll Features... [message #2740] Tue, 21 May 2002 00:46 Go to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
last days one of these nice animals visited our forums at rokop-security and got pretty stuck to it. The annoyance of that person brought me to the following idea: How about making a troll believe, he would post in the forum, and everyone could read his silly rantings? I thought about a global "trollcage" list in the admin panel, just like the ip filter. They can post as much as they like, but all others, including the mods and admins wouldn't see the garbage anymore. This way u could trick the troll into believing he's still allowed to post Smile. Advantage is clear, he/she/it would keep calm, wouldn't bother us with 20 different registrations, couldn't escape IP banning by using anonymous proxies and besides it would be a lot of fun isolating people that way. How about such a feature? I think this would be really great, because these people do seek for punishment. They want u to react on their behaviour. Maybe this idea is a bit crazy, but I think this would be really useful Smile
bye
Ken
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2742 is a reply to message #2740] Tue, 21 May 2002 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I can your reasoning but generally it is better to block a troll rather then have them waste system resources.

There is actually a way to do this by simply adding the troll to the ignore list hence you won't see their messages. Maybe a global ignore list could be used for this?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2744 is a reply to message #2740] Tue, 21 May 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Ken Kizaki wrote on Mon, 20 May 2002 8:46 PM

Hi,
last days one of these nice animals visited our forums at rokop-security and got pretty stuck to it. The annoyance of that person brought me to the following idea: How about making a troll believe, he would post in the forum, and everyone could read his silly rantings? I thought about a global "trollcage" list in the admin panel, just like the ip filter. They can post as much as they like, but all others, including the mods and admins wouldn't see the garbage anymore. This way u could trick the troll into believing he's still allowed to post Smile. Advantage is clear, he/she/it would keep calm, wouldn't bother us with 20 different registrations, couldn't escape IP banning by using anonymous proxies and besides it would be a lot of fun isolating people that way. How about such a feature? I think this would be really great, because these people do seek for punishment. They want u to react on their behaviour. Maybe this idea is a bit crazy, but I think this would be really useful Smile
bye
Ken

Hmm, well all proxy software does normally report the IP who it is forwarding for... so maybe we should improve our ip filter, and also have an option to deny anon proxies...!

That would be the right way to fight the troll...

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2745 is a reply to message #2744] Tue, 21 May 2002 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
It just has been an spontaneous idea that came across my mind Smile. I know the ignore list for individual users, but then u will have the problem that there's always someone feeding the troll. Besides an average visitor still could see these posts, which could lead to significant confusion. So a global ignore list would be a useful feature.
@hackie: This only applies to transparent proxies, which send the original ip by HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR or HTTP_CLIENT_IP (there are a couple of other variants but 2 as example should do). By the time one uses an anonymous proxy u have (almost) no way of finding out the original IP. I say almost because u can trick someone if there's no firewall filtering outgoing requests. Just link a transparent .gif or .png connecting to a port >1024 and the request will bypass the proxy (squid by default considers any port >1024 as safe, hence they won't be processed by it). Another way would be crating an java applet that asks for the user's environment and bypasses the proxy by specifying a different port for connecting.
bye
Ken
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2747 is a reply to message #2745] Tue, 21 May 2002 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken both you and I know that there is no such thing as absolute security. If someone is dedicated enough they'll find a way to bypass your filters. It could be as simple as using links or lynx browser on a remote unix box.

Generally speaking, if life is made difficult for trolls & spammers they move on to greener pastures.

My suggestion was creation of admin panel where an admin would be able to add users to a 'global' ignore list. What that would do is make this user ignored by EVERY SINGLE user on the forum, with the exception of the troll so they don't know they are being ignored.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2749 is a reply to message #2747] Tue, 21 May 2002 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
I'm fully aware that there's no perfect security Smile. But if u like the idea too and want to build it into the forum just as u ve described, it would be fine for me. This would distinguish FUD from most other forums, as for instance phpBB. Smile
bye Ken
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2750 is a reply to message #2749] Tue, 21 May 2002 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken Kizaki wrote on Tue, 21 May 2002 2:34 PM

I'm fully aware that there's no perfect security Smile. But if u like the idea too and want to build it into the forum just as u ve described, it would be fine for me. This would distinguish FUD from most other forums, as for instance phpBB. Smile
bye Ken

Heh...

I'll see what can be done about it... Maybe something for the 2.0.1 release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Xtended Troll Features... [message #2751 is a reply to message #2750] Tue, 21 May 2002 22:33 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
Take ur time, this is surely not one of the most vital features of a board (though quite a funny one Wink).
bye Ken
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Function list
Next Topic: Center login button - add reset
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 00:49:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03236 seconds