FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » Compiling GNOME: An adventure...
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2759] Wed, 22 May 2002 22:22 Go to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
in case u re not using precompiled binaries but do stuff on ur own by grabbing the latest sources of http://www.gnome.org u may become witness of some oddities Wink. ORBit-0.5.15 the latest stable version for GNOME 1.4 appears to be broken. Not too surprising, it took me almost two days just to fix the crappy scripts. There where funny things in it just like trying to gzip a directory, false paths.. really horrible Sad. Today when compiling the new 1.4.1.7 Update of the Gnome libraries, they failed to compile because of a missing ORBit function being called. By the time I reverted to the ORBit-0.5.13 version I was able to finish compiling the libraries. So just an advice, do not trust the configure scripts of the sources, some of them are broken and need fixing first. Lets hope things will improve once the Gnome 2 version comes out.
bye
Ken
Re: Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2762 is a reply to message #2759] Thu, 23 May 2002 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

which leaves me wondering.. why use gnome ;P.. use KDE

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2765 is a reply to message #2762] Thu, 23 May 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Sometimes I'm asking myself this question, too. But on the other hand: Gnome runs really stable, once u managed to compile it. And most people would use the version of the distribution anyway, so they don't notice it. Besides I really love the GTK+ interface. To me KDE looks somehow clumsy, awkward. Also I don't like this strange merlin wizard, which reminds me rather of fairy tales then of a production environment Wink. Another minus is that KDE menus are cluttered with stuff. Gnome is more reasonable with the features. Hey but these aren't really important arguments. They both work, and without doubt KDE is organized and distributed far more professional, so I can understand people don't want to try out anything else once they notice, that there aren't any precompiled binaries available for Gnome. I've recently been to linuxiso.org and much to my surprise only RedHat and Debian offer Gnome as default. All others use KDE. This is a clear signal of preferences. But I will stick to my environment after all, because I love to use it Razz
Btw, here's one of my desktops. I always use two of them: First for working and that one for keeping necessary windows of apps open. Sometimes I could need two more of them (one just for Gimp one for jEdit) but then my taskbar would get too crowded Wink.
bye
Ken
  • Attachment: desktop.jpg
    (Size: 209.42KB, Downloaded 880 times)
Re: Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2767 is a reply to message #2765] Thu, 23 May 2002 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Redhat and Debian use Gnome for a number of reasons most of which have nothing to do with KDE itself.

As you may know KDE using QT for its interface, QT up until recent time had a non-gpl license and although it was free to use for *NIX systems it had special conditions for other OSes. Redhat decided to stay closer to GPL hence their usage of Gnome.

Altimately KDE is a much more robust windowing enviroment then Gnome as it offers greater speeder, cleaner interface and more features not to mention looking a hell lot nicer then Gnome does.
Despite all that I still Gnome staying with us for a while since it is the baby of GNU/FSF and they seem to pretty adamantant on using it and seem to have a vendeta against the KDE project...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2768 is a reply to message #2759] Thu, 23 May 2002 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Indeed, KDE kicks gnome's ass pretty bad Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Compiling GNOME: An adventure... [message #2769 is a reply to message #2768] Fri, 24 May 2002 00:01 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
Nothing wrong with that.The better future Gnome versions will get. Right now the 2.x Series seems to become the first really mature version with (finally) built-in anti aliasing. U two like KDE and I like Gnome. Just a matter of the taste u prefer Wink There are a couple of great applications for Gnome which iron out the lack of conception of the system in the 1.x series. But the 2.x will address some of that issues - or in other words: better late than never Wink
bye Ken

[Updated on: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:02]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Meaning of FUD
Next Topic: 64 bitz
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 01:03:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05090 seconds