FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » RC2 -> RC3 upgrade
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2855] Mon, 03 June 2002 13:30 Go to next message
ScooterQ is currently offline  ScooterQ   United States
I attempted to upgrade for RC2 to RC3 yesterday and managed to mangle and destroy my forum completely. I **am** suppposed to go through the entire install routine again, aren't I? I assumed (apprently erroneously) that data would be preserved, but it looked like the database was re-initialized instead.

I'm a little hesitant to try again as it took me a good while to re-customize everything.
Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2857 is a reply to message #2855] Mon, 03 June 2002 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
ScooterQ wrote on Mon, 03 June 2002 09:30

I attempted to upgrade for RC2 to RC3 yesterday and managed to mangle and destroy my forum completely. I **am** suppposed to go through the entire install routine again, aren't I? I assumed (apprently erroneously) that data would be preserved, but it looked like the database was re-initialized instead.

I'm a little hesitant to try again as it took me a good while to re-customize everything.

The data should have been preserved, the upgrade script does not delete any data not does it clear any tables.

Let's go through the upgrade process and see where the problem has occured.

1) You've downloaded the upgrade script
2) Decompressed the downloaded archive
3) Copied upgrade.php from the decompressed archive into the forum's main web dir (WWW_ROOT)
4) Ran the script with your browser. (did you get any errors?)
5) Ran the consistency checker to rebuild data caches

At this point you say that when you go to visit the forum non of the data is there? Have you checked the actualy MySQL db to see if all the tables have indeed been cleared?

Keep in mind that the upgrade script has made a backup of your files, which can be found inside errors/.backup directory so your layout changes have not been lost and can easily restored.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2860 is a reply to message #2857] Mon, 03 June 2002 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The data should have been preserved, the upgrade script does not delete any data not does it clear any tables.

Let's go through the upgrade process and see where the problem has occured.

1) You've downloaded the upgrade script

Bingo - we've found my problem. I re-ran the install, not the upgrade. When I looked at the upgrade script it seemed to indicate that it was only for upgrading from 1.x versions. I'll chalk that up to mis-interpretation on my part rather than a doc issue.

Thanks for the help. Now I can go upgrade! Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 03 June 2002 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2861 is a reply to message #2860] Mon, 03 June 2002 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Heh, it happens to the best of us Wink

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2862 is a reply to message #2861] Mon, 03 June 2002 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well now... that was easy!

You guys rule. Thanks.
Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2878 is a reply to message #2855] Tue, 04 June 2002 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ala1 is currently offline  Ala1   Germany
Do you always update the upgrade.php file when there is a new bug fix available or are they included only in install.php?
Re: RC2 -> RC3 upgrade [message #2897 is a reply to message #2878] Tue, 04 June 2002 15:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ala1 wrote on Tue, 04 June 2002 04:50

Do you always update the upgrade.php file when there is a new bug fix available or are they included only in install.php?

The upgrade script will always have the latest bug fixes, unless the upgrade script was released before the bug has been found and a fix has been applied. However, if you generate an upgrade script from the CVS you'll have the latest bug fixes in it.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: small bugs
Next Topic: mark all messages as read
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 02:50:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01837 seconds