FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Are themes useful for anything besides languages?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Are themes useful for anything besides languages? [message #29515] Tue, 27 December 2005 03:43 Go to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
I want to create several different appearances for my forum. However, in order to change the appearance of just a few minor elements (header, post display format, style sheet changes) it appears that I must also create an entire new template set for each theme.

Am I misunderstanding how templating/themes work? Is it possible to base two themes with differing CSS style sheets upon a single template?
Re: Are themes useful for anything besides languages? [message #29521 is a reply to message #29515] Thu, 29 December 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can modify an existing theme. Also, keep in mind that any new theme you create will be a copy of an existing theme, so if 3 files is all you change, that will be the only difference between the themes.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Are themes useful for anything besides languages? [message #29525 is a reply to message #29521] Thu, 29 December 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
I see how it works now - I can only edit themes by going directly into the forum directory and editing the php.

Is it correct that if I need to recompile the template, everything I had changed in the themes that are based on that template would be reset to the template default values?

If I have gone in and changed elements for several themes that use the same base template, can I remove the default style sheet (or other changed elements) from the template source files to recompile without losing the theme-specific changes?

Re: Are themes useful for anything besides languages? [message #29532 is a reply to message #29525] Thu, 29 December 2005 19:37 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Almost to get the desired effect, you need to delete all *.tmpl files from the theme you've created beside the ones you've actually modified.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: newsgroup message location
Next Topic: moderator group
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 17:18:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04353 seconds