FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » No styles in Netscape 4
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2948] Wed, 05 June 2002 15:53 Go to next message
snafu is currently offline  snafu   United States
Not sure if FUD aims to support Netscape 4.x in terms of look and feel, but posting this FYI anyway.

I think this is new with FUD 2.0. With FUD 1.2.4, Netscape 4.75 renders FUD's layout quite nicely, with shaded table rows, etc. With FUD 2.0RCX, NS4.75 (on unix) doesn't render any shading whatsoever; it's all blank white.

Of course, it's still usable and all that, but it just don't look as purdy.

Personally, I think Netscape 4.x should be banned from the solar system, but all my managers and co-workers use it, so I have to worry about it in order to get buy-in and support from on high.

Let me know if you need a screenshot or anything like that.

-greg
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2953 is a reply to message #2948] Wed, 05 June 2002 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The NS4 support has been pretty much dropped from FUDforum 2. The forum is still quite readable and all the features work just fine, but seems to ignore CSS completely from what I can tell by looking at the FUDforum page from my NS 4.76.
The reason for this is because Netscape's 4.X series CSS support sucks and you could say is virtually non existent.
I can honestly tell you I do not intend to spend my time tweaking the templates with redundant <font> etc... tags to comply with a browser which does not adhere to most basic W3C standards and is used >4% of web users.
There are numerous NS4.X alternative, starting with a much superior Netscape 6, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2963 is a reply to message #2948] Wed, 05 June 2002 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Indeed, more so, mozilla 1.0 is out, there IS no reason to support NS4 anymore, or for anyone to use it, get your people to switch to NS6 or mozilla, it's about time.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2965 is a reply to message #2963] Wed, 05 June 2002 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Wed, 05 June 2002 11:52

Indeed, more so, mozilla 1.0 is out, there IS no reason to support NS4 anymore, or for anyone to use it, get your people to switch to NS6 or mozilla, it's about time.

Believe me, I'm trying...
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2967 is a reply to message #2948] Wed, 05 June 2002 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is an FYI, mind you. I'm definitely not on a crusade to get everybody to endlessly support Netscape 4.x to an absurd degree. (So ignore this if you're not interested in NS4 compatibility)

That said, I was able to save a sample FUD page and open it in Netscape 4. Suprizingly, it loaded the external stylesheet (forum.css) of my local disk just fine. The problem seems to be that it doesn't load it over the 'net.

Having said that, a really sick NS4 style bug was revealed related to css background images, so I'm back to square one.

The developer ultimately must choose between the benefit of css background images and the benefit of NS4 compatibility. I suppose this is something people can work in their individual FUD installations by editing the stylesheet.
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2968 is a reply to message #2967] Wed, 05 June 2002 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

snafu wrote on Wed, 05 June 2002 14:19

This is an FYI, mind you. I'm definitely not on a crusade to get everybody to endlessly support Netscape 4.x to an absurd degree. (So ignore this if you're not interested in NS4 compatibility)

That said, I was able to save a sample FUD page and open it in Netscape 4. Suprizingly, it loaded the external stylesheet (forum.css) of my local disk just fine. The problem seems to be that it doesn't load it over the 'net.

Having said that, a really sick NS4 style bug was revealed related to css background images, so I'm back to square one.

The developer ultimately must choose between the benefit of css background images and the benefit of NS4 compatibility. I suppose this is something people can work in their individual FUD installations by editing the stylesheet.

There is no benefit to NS4 compatibility, a stance must be taken on this issue, NS4 is crap, a well admitted and recognized piece of crap. It's **wrong** to support it, anyone who does support ns4 as a policy does the web development community a disfavor. Smile NS4 should be simply forced to cease to exist, it's an extreme view, but then NS4 is extreme crap!

It's one of those legacy things that really doesn't matter, yet makes life difficult for everyone else. We recall fighting with NS4 during FUD 1.2.X development days, then after very VERY detailed review of the browser breakdown we realized that NS4 support is a HUGE waste of our time and is in fact counter productive to what we are trying to achieve.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: No styles in Netscape 4 [message #2971 is a reply to message #2968] Wed, 05 June 2002 19:10 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yup, NS seems to not like external stylesheets in many cases. It was fine for 1.2X where the stylesheet was embeded inside the page. This was bad design, because not only does this not make sence stylistically it also is bad design when trying to accelerate the page loading time and save bandwidth.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: "Use cookies" feature on login page slightly unclear
Next Topic: 'Private Messaging' link in user control panel has inconsistent CSS class
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 04:23:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02522 seconds