FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Delete Account
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Delete Account [message #3050] Sun, 09 June 2002 15:51 Go to next message
Ala1 is currently offline  Ala1   United States
Actually I couldn't find a possibility to delete my account. That should be possible for the users, because otherwise they don't have a chance to avoid the "mass mails" and then the forum admin will have trouble because of anti-spam-laws.
Thanks for implementing this feature in future releases.
Re: Delete Account [message #3051 is a reply to message #3050] Sun, 09 June 2002 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The admin may delete a user account via the User Managment form. However, no forum, including FUDforum one allows the user to delete their own account. If a person wishes their account removed they should ask the admin(s) to do it for them.
Also, by setting the ignore admin option in user settings, the user is able to ignore the messages sent by the admin.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Delete Account [message #3052 is a reply to message #3051] Sun, 09 June 2002 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but in Germany there are two laws, that make the self-deletion-option necessary. Everybody should be able to delete personal data of his person whenever he/she want it.
It is a stupid job for the admins to delete the users manually, even when the board is growing up with 10.000 users or more.

I just made this suggestion so that you excellent forum will become perfect!
Re: Delete Account [message #3054 is a reply to message #3052] Sun, 09 June 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
What law should this be? I happen to live in Germany and never heard of it. Also I never saw *any* board that would allow to have users delete their own accounts. I even would say having users delete their own accounts could raise possible issue with misuse (spamming, harrassment) because ppl could wipe out their traces any time. this makes no sense to me, sorry.
just my 2¢
Ken
Re: Delete Account [message #3055 is a reply to message #3054] Mon, 10 June 2002 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ala1 I must admit ignorance to German internet laws, however no other forum or any other web signup allows the user to delete their own account. It is not only unsecure but also, is counter productive for the admin. Since a blocked user can simply delete their own account and make another, as well as simular issues.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Delete Account [message #3057 is a reply to message #3055] Mon, 10 June 2002 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Ala 1, I ve just found ur argument that the ability of deleting one's account would be vital to avoid spamming. This is absolutely not true because the email address can be hidden. So only the administrators (rarely more than 2 persons, rest are moderators which cannot access the admin panel) would have access to the email address. Spammers can only misuse addresses by finding them somewhere on a page. or a bot does this job for them. Please explain to me where u have to expose ur email address when posting messages? And furthermore, please explain to me how a spammer should get the email address from if it was hidden? Have u ever read the warnings when editing ur profile? U get explicitely warned about exposing private data, that it could raise privacy issues u may not want to be confronted with. And u *DO* have the option of keeping ur data private in FUD, ur account won't cease functioning if u don't enter any more data. There's even *NO* option for forcing people to reveal more data. I u really run the FUD u ought to know that already. So why the hell should be the administrator to blame if people don't make use of simple security measures of ensuring their privacy? In most cases people just get spammed because they simply fill out any form that comes across their way with their email address. the same kind of people that use Windows and execute any attachment that they get sent. And if it was a Trojan Horse or a Worm and they noticed the mess they brought themselves into, they'd cry for security measures and authorities to protect them from their carelessness. If people cannot take care for themselves even when they get informed in advanced then they should immediately sell their computer and turn to something less dangerous.
It would be really interesting to learn from the source of ur claim FUD wouldn't be compliant to German law. Please provide a link to a German page where the "mass-mailing" laws are named which FUD would be in conflict with. I have my doubts that they exist.
Ken

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2002 01:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Delete Account [message #3059 is a reply to message #3057] Mon, 10 June 2002 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken, I communicated with the German "Bundesbeauftragten für Datenschutz" about our policy, there are so much little mistakes you can make with it!
You can find all laws under:
http://www.bfd.bund.de/information/pdf/info_5.pdf
Mass mail: We use a different newsletter-system, so we have to export the user-data from FUD to it. And every board user should receive it, so if there is no possibility to delete the account, the one will receive the mails also in future, even when the admin delete its account manually.
Re: Delete Account [message #3060 is a reply to message #3059] Mon, 10 June 2002 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
Ok, but u have to admit that the additional newsletter might be the source of the problem. The forum alone couldn't rise such a harzard (except one is longing to expose personal data). Thanx for ur link anyway, I'll take a look at it. If there really exist such laws in Germany then it might be useful to know about them. This is why I asked for a source. But I stick to my opinion, an option to have users delete their accounts does not make anything safer. Like Prottoss already pointed out this would be an invitation to all sorts of people to make a board to a place for spamming and harrassment. Having the option to get deleted from a marketing database with one's email makes sense (also known as "opt-out") but IMHO u can't transfer such principles to a messageboard, because ur address isn't the primary medium (as in newsletters, newsgroups, mailinglists) on which communication is being held. It is merely a way to check people's identity and in the end a way to grant safety to all board users. I've seen this too often that there are people around which cannot deal with too much liberty, once they have the opportunity to make anonymous postings, some of them start to annoy users with offensive postings. And if u ask them to stop that nonsense u would typically get the answer "Why should I? Anonymous posting is allowed so I can do anything here." Usually these are the first ones to cry out "censorship" as soon as u start to delete their crap postings. Usual stuff, but u have to keep this in mind. Ok, I'll verify the document u set a link to
bye
Ken
Re: Delete Account [message #3061 is a reply to message #3060] Mon, 10 June 2002 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
ok, I read the articles affected, which deal about one's right to to have one's data deleted, alterred or locked up. This is fulfilled if u make a request for a change to ur data because the admin would be obligued to do so. Besides, before u register to a forum u get clearly informed about the following steps. U will confirm ur agreement by pressing the ok button. So data is willingly stored. Thus Fud and any other forum is fully law compliant because people's data can be locked up, alterred or deleted by the admin. This is what this law is all about. There's no article which says users themselves ought to have this right.
bye Ken
Re: Delete Account [message #3065 is a reply to message #3059] Mon, 10 June 2002 15:07 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ala1 wrote on Mon, 10 June 2002 04:37

Ken, I communicated with the German "Bundesbeauftragten für Datenschutz" about our policy, there are so much little mistakes you can make with it!
You can find all laws under:
http://www.bfd.bund.de/information/pdf/info_5.pdf
Mass mail: We use a different newsletter-system, so we have to export the user-data from FUD to it. And every board user should receive it, so if there is no possibility to delete the account, the one will receive the mails also in future, even when the admin delete its account manually.

Well, if you have a mailing list, to where the forum's data is exported then deleting a forum users really won't do a thing won't it?
Just like any newsletter system, I suspect yours has an unsubscribe feature, that would permit users to unsubscribe from the list. Deleting forum users is definately NOT the way to do it. If you do export data from the forum to an external source such as a mail list, let your users know about during registration, so that they know what they are getting into.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: disable e-mail feature
Next Topic: Postgresql database support
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:10:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02271 seconds