FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » No messages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  No messages [message #3073] Tue, 11 June 2002 09:32 Go to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
After an Update from Version 1.2.8 to 2.0 I notice, that every message, that should be displayed only contain the heading and the signature. The message-text has gone. Sad
This happens at every forum.
Re: No messages [message #3074 is a reply to message #3073] Tue, 11 June 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
hi,
the message body is the part that will be stored on the server's harddisk, so ur described phenomenom probably means one of the following:
- u ve run out of diskspace (or diskquota is at max)
- u didn't set write permission so the messages couldn't be transformed by the upgrade script
- Some paths in ur GLOBALS.php may point to non-existing locations
- something else might have gone wrong during upgrade (would need more investigations though)
U will probably need a backup of ur forum to restore messages (hope u've made one, else u would be damn out of luck now)

I've been testing the upgrade of the forum I'm running for some days now (whenever I ve got time for it) and I've noticed that its success *strongly* depends on correctly set file and dir permissions.
HTH
Tschüß
Ken
Re: No messages [message #3075 is a reply to message #3074] Tue, 11 June 2002 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
I noticed, that the following folders have no content or nearly no content, if you compare to the old version:
files, messages (only msg_1 and private file), settings (only file_filter_regexp), user_settings (no files at all)

BTW, I did a backup! Is it possible to copy these files from the backup to the forum-folders?
Re: No messages [message #3076 is a reply to message #3075] Tue, 11 June 2002 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually the new message storage format stores ALL the messages inside a single file msg_1. Instead of having a file per thread like the old version.
What is the file size of your msg_1 file?

The user settings are no longer stored on disk either but rather in MySQL, which is why that directory is empty.

Have you ran the consistency checker after you have done the upgrade?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3077 is a reply to message #3076] Tue, 11 June 2002 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The file has a size of 3.7kByte, but I noticed at the moment, that this file has not the right properties. So it could not be changed.

Yes, I ran the consistency checker.
Re: No messages [message #3078 is a reply to message #3077] Tue, 11 June 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm the file size is definately wrong, which permissions did the file have before you have changed them, 600?

Also, can you run a 'df' command to see if you have any free space avaliable on the drive? The problem you are describing sounds suspiciously like something that would result in your system or your account (if quotas are used) running out of drive space during the upgrade process.

Since, you've made a backup there is definately I way to restore the missing message bodies, however we need to figure out why they were not written properly the 1st time.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3082 is a reply to message #3073] Tue, 11 June 2002 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cvdveer is currently offline  cvdveer   Netherlands
Sounds familiar.

After converting the forum and consistency checking I end up with:

Warning: fopen("/var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/data/messages/msg_1&qu ot;,"rb") - No such file or directory in /var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/msg.php on line 843

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/msg.php on line 862

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/msg.php on line 863

After that the messages without bodies.

I checked owner and discspace restrictions and they are okay.
The conversion just seems to 'forget' the bodies.

c "just restore the backup..." vdveer
Re: No messages [message #3084 is a reply to message #3082] Tue, 11 June 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does the file /var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/data/messages/msg_1 exist?

Also, what are the permissions on the /var/www/html/forum.nieuwsgierigstel.com/data/messages/ directory?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3086 is a reply to message #3084] Tue, 11 June 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I believe I found the bug, that may be the cause of this problem. Could you please meet me on irc (i already see you in the #fudforum channel), my nick is rei.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3087 is a reply to message #3078] Tue, 11 June 2002 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 11 June 2002 15:26

Hmmm the file size is definately wrong, which permissions did the file have before you have changed them, 600?

Also, can you run a 'df' command to see if you have any free space avaliable on the drive?

My folders have the permissions 777 and the files (for example in the messages folder) have 644. Username is apache, group is nogroup. I think that's the user, the apache-server runs with.

Df tells me more than 1.2GByte free space on disk.

Re: No messages [message #3088 is a reply to message #3084] Tue, 11 June 2002 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 11 June 2002 16:38

Does the file .../messages/msg_1 exist?
Also, what are the permissions on the .../messages/ directory?

On my server the file exists.
The permission of the .../messages/ -folder is 777.

Re: No messages [message #3093 is a reply to message #3088] Tue, 11 June 2002 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
smike, can you login to irc (irc.openprojects.net, #fudforum) channel?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3100 is a reply to message #3073] Tue, 11 June 2002 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem has been located in fixed in latest CVS.

The upgrade script based on the latest CVS is attached to this message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3105 is a reply to message #3100] Tue, 11 June 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi prottoss,
the upgrade script (1.28 -> 2.x) now finally succeeded upgrading my forum too - at least on the testrun Smile
bye
Ken
Re: No messages [message #3106 is a reply to message #3105] Wed, 12 June 2002 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
2.0.1 fixed a number of bugs that thanks to sMike & cvdveer I was able to track down, so the upgrade process should work A OK now.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3107 is a reply to message #3106] Wed, 12 June 2002 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Not entirely in my case. But that's none of ur fault. We probably have the most braindead lover of safemode PHP in Germany Sad . It took me the whole night to get the forum running :(. I couldn't install it directly on the server, so I had to move it via FTP. And guess what? I wasn't allowed to make any symbolic link for the GLOBALS.php Hm, in such cases u usually turn to a shell, but there wasn't one. Neither ssh nor did telnet work Sad the server simply didn't offer the services. Hence I was forced to use the win32 trick with the include_once that would point to the right file. Because there was no shell I couldn't communicate with SQL either. So I had to use my beloved phpmyadmin Sad Sad Sad . The limit was extra low tonight, anything greater than 400k timed out with a fatal error (yeah we do love safe mode don't we?) Luckily the space is paid by someone else who owns the domain. It's so braindead. The whole webspace is completely useless. I'm afraid djupsjob will face lots of fun with his safemode PHP server, too Sad
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Wed, 12 June 2002 03:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: No messages [message #3123 is a reply to message #3107] Wed, 12 June 2002 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm... we've specifically made modifications to the upgrade script to bypass the UID limitation of safe_mode. This was done by having the upgrade script copy itself, thus creating a copy on the drive owned by webserver's UID. Since it was owned by webserver's UID according to safe_mode it should have been able to write/edit/delete the files owned by the server assuming it had file system permissions to those files/directories.

Your problem actually was because your forum's web dir was owned by a 'user' rather then the webserver, thus based on safe_mode it could not write to that dir. The solution to this problem would have been to chown the directory, so that it is owned by the webserver.
A work around solution is to remove the dir and have a php script via the web re-create it, thus making it owned by the webserver.

Ken. if you want to convince your host about uselessness of safe_mode show them the output of this:
<?php show_source('/etc/passwd'); ?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: No messages [message #3128 is a reply to message #3123] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi, prottoss,
Ur suggestions are likely to work but consider the time I've already wasted only because of a clueless hoster. I probably cannot convince him of anything because I already argued with him several months ago because of his braindead server configuration which made SQL collapse when using pconnect. He still will remember me I guess Wink . It's pointless somehow. Best will be to switch the provider. I'm just tech admin of the pages in the first place, the owner of the account and the domain is someone else. But I will definetely discuss this issue tonight with him and suggest moving to a different hoster, which does not feature such crap like safemode. Concerning the page, I'm glad that it's up n running thus I'm not gonna touch it anymore unless it would break for some reasons. U may understand Wink
bye Ken
Re: No messages [message #3129 is a reply to message #3128] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:30 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is a good approach :).

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Group-Leader not shown at home
Next Topic: Two minor issues
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:42:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03072 seconds