FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » post attachments don't work
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: post attachments don't work [message #32338 is a reply to message #31347] Wed, 21 June 2006 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
newnumbertwo is currently offline  newnumbertwo   United States
I know it's been a while since we last visited this topic, but I'd like to return and see if we can figure out a fix to it.

First, a couple words about our server install and how PHP is installed and used by apache. The server, a RHEL box, does not use the site-wide installed PHP, but rather, uses a custom apache and PHP compiled and installed just for use with this web server. We run several web servers on virtual interfaces in this manner.

If I go to our web site, and pull up a page with <? php phpinfo(); ?> in it, I'm told that the php.ini file is expected to be found at:

/websites/sitename/apps/lib/php.ini

Previously, we didn't have a php.ini there, so I copied the php.ini-recommended from the src directory to this expected location. Then, I edited php.ini and set:

error_reporting = E_ALL
display_errors = On
display_startup_errors = On
log_errors_max_len = 0
html_errors = Off
error_log = /websites/sitename/logs/php_error.log

After touching the /websites/sitename/logs/php_error.log file, and then setting the uid/gid to the same uid/gid that apache runs under, I restarted the server.

After this, I thought I might try doing a bit of debugging via variable printing to the php_error.log. I come from a Perl development background, and an invaluable trick I've employed for a long time is to use Perl's Data::Dumper module and print variables to STDERR like so:

print STDERR Dumper($variable);

This will print out the current state of the existing variable to the defined httpd error log.

Thinking that something similar could be accomplished with PHP and FudForum, I then edited FUDForum/src/attach.inc.t, and added the following line to the safe_attachment_copy function:

var_dump($loc);

I rebuilt the theme, grepped for my new debugging statement in htdocs/forums/, saw that it was there, and then tried to attach a file, thinking that I'd get some kind of debugging output in my php_error.log. However, nothing happened, and no entry was written, not var_dump or any other php debugging message.

I guess my questions at this point are,

1. Is this method of trying to print debugging statements, and variable states, out to an error log going to work?

2. Am I in the right area for trying to figure out why my post attachments aren't working, i.e the safe_attachment_copy function in attach.inc.t ?

This is very frustrating for our users, not being able to use attachments, as they frequently need to upload a screenshot or file of code to illustrate a problem they're having with our software.

Any suggestions on this debugging process or how to fix this problem would be most appreciated.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message