FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Option to show real names
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Option to show real names [message #3411] Fri, 21 June 2002 16:55 Go to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
FUD is a great forum for the internet, where nearly every conversation is done with nick-names. In companies it is often wanted, that you see the real name of a user at his postings in order to know, who is behind that nick.
I heard of users of my forum, that wanted to get in contact with a certain person via PM, but didn't know there nick-name. If you neither have the nick nor have the email-adress, you aren't really happy.

Suggestion:
Is it possible to show the real name beside every posting? The place where the custom tags are located would be nice.
Of cource this option should be configurable, that other forums in the internet, like this one here, wouldn't show the real names to everybody.
The right place for this option could be the "Global Settings Manager".

Thanks for now, Mike
Re: Option to show real names [message #3413 is a reply to message #3411] Fri, 21 June 2002 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
In a company enviroment, I'd think people should be encouraged to use their realnames as their nicknames. Their positions in the company can be added as custom tags or specified by users inside the location field, which appears beside every post.

Withing a company enviroment I would actually strongly encourage using the avatar feature to display the picture of each person. That way you know exactly who you are talking to and if you meet the person around the office you'll know who they are. It creates a more personal enviroment, when people can see who they are talking to.

I'll consider you feature though, although I can imagine that most internel forums would rather not allow people to search by people's real names, since that is something most people would rather keep a secret.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Option to show real names [message #3415 is a reply to message #3413] Fri, 21 June 2002 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss schrieb am Fre, 21 Juni 2002 18:59

In a company enviroment, I'd think people should be encouraged to use their realnames as their nicknames.

I agree with you, but for many users it wouldn't be nice to type in there whole real name. (Cookies didn't work, because of browsing from different computers.)

Just an example:
It is much easier to login as MaxHolz, than as MaximilianHolzmannstetter.
I admit this example is a bit overstated, but I think you know what I mean. Smile
Re: Option to show real names [message #3417 is a reply to message #3415] Fri, 21 June 2002 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I see your point. I'll need to give this feature some thought, since there should be an easy way for an admin to disable such a functionality and even if it enabled it probably should be retricted in some fashion. For example, allow only registered users to search by real names.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Option to show real names [message #3418 is a reply to message #3417] Fri, 21 June 2002 17:21 Go to previous message
prottoss schrieb am Fre, 21 Juni 2002 19:18

I see your point. I'll need to give this feature some thought, since there should be an easy way for an admin to disable such a functionality and even if it enabled it probably should be retricted in some fashion. For example, allow only registered users to search by real names.

You're absolutely right!
Oh god, you have to think about so many things if you just want to show "some" more lines.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: HTML _and_ FUD ML in signatures
Next Topic: ToolTips for formatting tools
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 23:25:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04657 seconds