FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Security - IP Logging
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Security - IP Logging [message #35105] Fri, 08 December 2006 12:08 Go to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I brought this up briefly before, but I felt I have to/should do it again.

Currently, FUDforum only logs IP adresses when someone makes a post, I would love if it updated IP adresses upon login, to be able to track malicious users easier. Currently I have to use a workarounds with the apache log, which is unpratical at best. Especially since a Forum is often a supplement to another service - Lets say a game server, a webpage, a CMS system or a webshop or something similair, it is sometimes vital for the webmaster/admin to be able to identify users across the systems to ensure security and /or cleanse malicious users, or prevent illegal activities, either against your site(s) or prevent that your forum and your other services be accessed and abused for illegal purposes and hence incriminating yourself, for not taking all appropriate actions, or to be able to present comprehensive and accurate logs to the authorities.

I request an additional column that tracks the users last known IP that they logged in from, or perhaps even better - a whole separate table which keeps track and stores a users last known login IPs - It does not have to store ALL of them, just if a current IP equals an old IP, just update the timestamp, doesnt need to add a billion rows of identical IPs (Like my god damn web stat page does, oh my that baby is getting large).

Also the ability, just as we have now, to search by IP and identify which users have used that IP, or even that IP range ("Possible alter-egos of current users").

[Updated on: Fri, 08 December 2006 12:11]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Allowing polls even if topic is locked