FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Double Emails
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Double Emails [message #35150] Wed, 13 December 2006 10:25 Go to next message
jmaimarc is currently offline  jmaimarc   Israel
I'm having an interesting problem with the site: double emails.

maillist.php is working smoothly with procmail.

It is not confined to pure forum pages. A contact form that I hacked together from another page is also sending out doubles.

I went through some tests with the system administrator, and we've ruled out a sendmail or apache issue. To the best of my knowledge I haven't duplicated the call to the send mail function in post.php or the other scripts that mail out, but I'm getting duplicates fairly regularly. They're separate emails too, with unique IDs and time stamps within a second of each other.

Any idea where I can start hunting this down? Is it mailing from one script then calling a second script that's also mailing? That seems to be the logical reason for the dupes.
Re: Double Emails [message #35156 is a reply to message #35150] Wed, 13 December 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Could it be that the bounces are getting imported or perhaps two sets of e-mails arrive at the procmail script?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Double Emails [message #35159 is a reply to message #35156] Wed, 13 December 2006 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I monitor the procmail logs and only one email comes in at a time. The forum is set to moderate all incoming posts, but the mailing list manager is set to automatically allow posts from the Yahoo group the site is migrating from. Would the sync posts setting in the mailing list manager have anything to do with it?

Bounces wouldn't show up less than a second after the first message, it would have to take time to actually bounce, and the mailer daemon information with the bounce error would be attached to it.

I'm making sure that the email is being sent only once from the yahoo group to the domain, but it's not a consistent double message, which means that there has to be a reason why some are and some aren't doubling.

Re: Double Emails [message #35181 is a reply to message #35159] Thu, 14 December 2006 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, if the sync was at fault that duplication would occur on messages created on the forum sent to the mailing list and then synchronized back. Can you verify if this is the case?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Double Emails [message #35184 is a reply to message #35181] Thu, 14 December 2006 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can check, but then wouldn't it be consistent within a particular forum? I'm troubled by the consistency issue.

The script being called to send the email is smtp.inc, which you probably knew. Is there one php template page that calls it, or do mmod, post, modque, etc. all use it?
Re: Double Emails [message #35188 is a reply to message #35184] Fri, 15 December 2006 00:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anything that uses e-mail in the forum utilizes the code inside smtp.inc.t

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Typo in banned account message
Next Topic: Log error when mail() returns FALSE
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 20:17:13 GMT 2024