FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Update "Upgrade Documentation"
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Update "Upgrade Documentation" [message #35900] Mon, 19 February 2007 14:19 Go to next message
jeffrey is currently offline  jeffrey   United States
When I was upgrading from 2.7.5 to 2.7.7RC1 I didn't realize that the install.php program would wipe out my database without even asking the "are you sure you want to wipe out your previous forum database?" question. I'll be able to recover most of my forum, manually, but because of other problems, my backup didn't happen. Oh Nooooo..... Mad Evil or Very Mad Sad Shocked Embarassed

I would make two suggestions:

1. Update the README with an "Upgrade Section" where step 1 is "Login as Admin and run the backup procedure".

2. In the "Upgrade Section" provide a set of Rollback Instructions in case the upgrade doesn't work out, have a recovery procedure for your gentile user Smile

3. When you run the install.php and it finds an existing database, dump a copy of the database into a backup file. Another copy of the database can never hurt. Smile

4. During the upgrade process, if a previous database file is found, ask the questions:
a) Do you want to backup your database? (from #2)
b) Are you sure you want to overwrite your existing database?

Re: Update "Upgrade Documentation" [message #35907 is a reply to message #35900] Mon, 19 February 2007 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Wipe out the database?

The upgrade process is performed by the upgrade script, upgrade.php not install.php, which is the installation script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Update "Upgrade Documentation" [message #35923 is a reply to message #35907] Tue, 20 February 2007 17:56 Go to previous message
jeffrey is currently offline  jeffrey   United States
I thought I was running the upgrade "install" script. You might also put in the README that if you are running the "upgrade" script, do this 1. 2. 3. ... Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Avatars and URL control
Next Topic: phpbb2-nuked conversion
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 03:23:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03141 seconds