FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Postgres: Intstalling in non-public schema?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Postgres: Intstalling in non-public schema? [message #35999] Tue, 27 February 2007 14:54 Go to previous message
Drezil is currently offline  Drezil   Germany
I'm glad, that I finally found a Forum serving my needs - and it supports postgres Wink

I have a simple Question:
I got a project running which uses postgres. To that project i got a main database with the default schema containing user-relevant stuff and some other schemas each with another instance of nearly the same db-structure.
Now i want to install the forum into a blank created schema (which should(!) be no problem).

In fact (as far as i can see) the fudforum sticks to the default ("public") schema.
Theoretically this is no problem.

for those not familar with the postgres database - schema - table -model here is a short introduction:

postgres features so called "shemas" which are simply said seperated databases within one datebase with 1 single difference:
you can reference between these instances.
For example you plan different instances of the same kind (different worlds in games and so on). Then you can go and say: Well, one user can play in more than one world.
In sql this in rather simple broken down:
select w1.name, w2.name from world1.user w1, world2.user w2, account.user a where w1.uid = a.uid and w2.uid = a.uid;
which gives you the name of the same user in different worlds.
(just an example. I know that this is no "good" sql.)

i think that fudforum has also somhow implemented user-ids. The nice part is: I want to write some kind of "access" to that schema so i can use the forum-data in my application.

in the best case this ends in something like:
select t.topic from forum.threads t join account.user u on (t.uid=u.forumuid) where u.uid=...
so i can easily acces the data an create more interaction between the users (we all know the barrier to register in an application-forum - in my experience not half of my users even registered in my old forum)

long story short:
is it possible to install fudforum into postgres schema-system?
if not: can this be treated as a feature-request and moved into the appropriate forum?
the realisation and the access of the db-layer needs only a few changes. For instance if you could allow "board." as an table-prefix everything should work fine (in sql this would just change select * from tbl_table to select * from board.table).

for now i will try to get it working in an isolated datebase and then dump, edit and reimport the structure to the schema i want it to be. if necessary i'll update some of the code (which should be only minimal changes)

edit:
a minor note: fudforum is not compatible with the "php5-strict-standards". it'll generate notices on E_ALL | E_STRICT (in php6 E_STRICT should become standard in E_ALL - until now you have to explicit say it in the php.ini)
it's not a great deal but you'll get something like
PHP-ERROR:
Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /var/www/forum/theme/default/index.php on line 102
PHP-ERROR:
Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /var/www/forum/theme/default/index.php on line 264

on a fresh installation.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 February 2007 15:31]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message