FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Invisible members (Basic programme question)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Invisible members [message #36442] Sat, 24 March 2007 08:03 Go to next message
Margie is currently offline  Margie   Israel
Does an invisible member's last visit count in that it is shown on his profile? How do we identify which members have chosen the invisible path: would this be possible by checking profiles?
Re: Invisible members [message #36453 is a reply to message #36442] Sat, 24 March 2007 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Invisible members do not wish to be seen when they are online. The point of that will be nullified if everyone can see their profile says they chose invisible option. Now, if you are a paranoid admin for some reason, then an option might be to show in the user editor admin page that "This user has chosen to hide their online status." or something. That would require hacking.
Re: Invisible members [message #36454 is a reply to message #36453] Sat, 24 March 2007 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
As for the Last Message in their profile, I've no idea how that works. To a non-admin it looks like it picks their last message from a day ago so as to not give away the fact that they are still online. The developers would need to answer that.

As for this message count of which you speak, I don't see how that gives away their online status. Observant people will know when someone is online, invisible, and posting by look at unread messages. Obviously this doesn't work if they are not posting anything.
Re: Invisible members [message #36470 is a reply to message #36453] Sun, 25 March 2007 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your responses Marticus.

We have information 'sensitive' to us in certain areas that are available to the members and not to the general public. This is stuff that we don't want to have fall into the hands of someone who broadcasts it in a most public and malicious fashion: the point not being the publicity but the malice. I don't intend to explain further.

What I have discovered for myself since posting the above question is interesting in itself, though only useful to those who have the same dilemma we have with public and private information. It is easy to find which members are visiting invisibly (and not those posting) by a glance at the members' profiles, which will show no 'date of last visit', in contrast to 'visible members' who do show such dates.
Re: Invisible members [message #36482 is a reply to message #36470] Sun, 25 March 2007 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
Disable the member's list =D

For your dilemma, perhaps having the forum show their last visit from the previous day? As for the sensitive data, I don't understand how seeing who is an invisible member has anything to do with it.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 March 2007 21:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Invisible members [message #37179 is a reply to message #36482] Fri, 11 May 2007 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As for the sensitive data, I don't understand how seeing who is an invisible member has anything to do with it.
You find it turning up on another notice board as if it were public information.

What was the intention of the invisible members anyway? I see them in my 'buddy list' and in the list that tells me what forum members are doing at the time of looking.
Re: Invisible members [message #37202 is a reply to message #37179] Sun, 13 May 2007 17:28 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
The idea behind invisible was to allow users to hide their login status from non-admins.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Weird Group Management
Next Topic: Probationary Membership
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:26:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02793 seconds