FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3594] Tue, 02 July 2002 06:12 Go to next message
james is currently offline  james   United States
File Adminstration System
PERMISSION DENINED ACCSESING /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/james..us/httpdocs/

[Updated on: Tue, 27 February 2007 03:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3603 is a reply to message #3594] Tue, 02 July 2002 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What are the permissions for the "/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/james.pirruccello.us/httpdocs/" directory and which forum version are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3678 is a reply to message #3603] Thu, 04 July 2002 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The permissions are set to 777, but it still reports permissions as being denied. I've gotten it (once) to _not_ report it being denied, but when I got the file uploaded, it was magically not there. And then I just uploaded it via ftp, but the ownership was wrong. I run windows, and am not aware of any FTP clients that can do a chown. I cannot access the site via telnet.

James
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3682 is a reply to message #3678] Thu, 04 July 2002 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem you are seeing is the result of the forum's internal file manager being able to ONLY work in directories that are used by the forum.

I presume your forum is installed inside
/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/james.pirruccello.us/httpdocs/forum/,
hence that is the directory in which the file manager will work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3738 is a reply to message #3682] Fri, 05 July 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, that is fine. I am trying to upgrade, though, and the forum can't even manage files _within_ its directories. Thus, I cannot upload the upgrade.php file with my browser. I can do it with the FTP client, but then the 'chown' ownerships prevent the forum from being able to execute the script. PHP is in safe mode, and this cannot be changed (shared server). I cannot telnet.
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3742 is a reply to message #3738] Fri, 05 July 2002 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Which forum version is this, you should be able to use the file manager to do this.

In later forums you can also 'unlock' forum files, which would make them world writable.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3813 is a reply to message #3742] Sat, 06 July 2002 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I discovered that trying to run the previous upgrade script (uploading it via browser to give apache ownership) didn't work because the upload was greater than 2 megs (a fault of my host, not your forum). However, after some nimble tweaking of permissions via a php file manager, I was able to get it to run. At that point, I had a massive SQL and PHP error (I didn't record it, sorry) probably due to safe mode being enabled. Luckily, I had made a forum datadump and had unlocked all of the forums files. I was able to re-install the previous version, upload the datadump, and reinstall the icons/etc. I'm nervous about trying the 2.2 upgrade script, though. Any suggestions?
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3815 is a reply to message #3813] Sat, 06 July 2002 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Could you tell me the specifics of your system configuration, php & web server. I'll then try to replicate the situation on my test server and then will be able to tell you how to proceed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3816 is a reply to message #3815] Sat, 06 July 2002 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMFG, I just discovered that I'm on PHP3. Oh god, I'm hope my host will upgrade this.

PHP Version 3.0.15
Apache Version 1.3.12, release 10312100
vmlinuz-2.4.2-2

What other info do you need?
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3817 is a reply to message #3816] Sat, 06 July 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, that really is about it.

FUDforum REQUIRES PHP 4.0, it won't work on 3.0

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't upgrade because permission denied in FUDforum [message #3843 is a reply to message #3817] Sun, 07 July 2002 22:18 Go to previous message
Oops, I did a check on the wrong server, sorry.

PHP is version 4.1.2. (and I am still getting that error)

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2002 23:41]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Manage users
Next Topic: Cannot access Admin Control Panel anymore
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 19:09:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02265 seconds