FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Installation assistance (Paid support to install a forum on GoDaddy)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Installation assistance [message #39073] Tue, 25 September 2007 06:39 Go to next message
matthew23 is currently offline  matthew23   United States
I have a customized fud forum that I would like to get installed on at GoDaddy. I have the instructions from Ilia but some of it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks, Matt Towers
Re: Installation assistance [message #39076 is a reply to message #39073] Tue, 25 September 2007 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
please elaborate.
Re: Installation assistance [message #39078 is a reply to message #39076] Tue, 25 September 2007 16:07 Go to previous message
matthew23 is currently offline  matthew23   United States
Ilia created a customized forum for me, installed at Prohost. I want to move that forum to an account at GoDaddy. I copied the instructions I got from a call with Ilia. I am not a techy so only some of this makes sense to me.

Thanks, Matt

The Towers Research Group Think forum is installed via script; all of the software is inside the install.php script. Once run, 4 types of questions are asked of the installer:
1) Dir name
2) Database settings
3) Take Default
4) Admin acct logon/pword

then it is essentially done; the PHP script will install and forum software will be activated.

To get to this point, one has to create a dir via a FTP client, then chmod
777 the dir to make it writable so one can write the install.php to that dir.

Once the install script is there, you go to a browser and use for example:
http://www.towersresearch.com/123/install.php to run it.

Specifically, access via the web browser yields the following questions (with answers as follows):

1) Dir - this is the place where the forum is to be installed

2) URL - what will be the URL to the forum itself; in most cases, the default offered will be the correct answer.

3) Database Settings:
a) database hostname - localhost
b) database login and password - ??Is this the same as admin_login/pword??
c) **table prefix** important; because Matt uses multiple forums it is best to prefix each table with a string, such as "NOV18_" to store the date of the forum setup. Click Next.
3) Cookie Domain - take the default and click Next.
4) Admin Login of choice, change to matt, as desired. Will ask for pword twice.
5) Finalize install, BUT before clicking Next, REMOVE Install.php from that dir, or rename it.
6) Will then take me to the login. Use the Admin_login set in step 4) above.
7) Then Use the Forum.

Matt had a question on Avatars (re: importation)
- It is best to import the Avatars from the Avatar Control Panel. Do this via Importing Galleries. Matt uses Unique Galleries for each of his groups.

Avatars are found in Dir of Avatars, ex: \Disney
..\Series1
..\Series2

How to upload Avatars:
Fire up an FTP client and load the whole structure to a dir on a server as the admin. Once uploaded via FTP, then go to Avatar manager: Click Import Avatar Gallery, put in the path to the FTP'ed Avatar gallery and click import. It is Key is make sure that the file extensions survive the import operation otherwise they cannot be found.

One can put the Avatar dir in the forum dir, but it is ideal to put it in a dir in Matt's home dir. The key is that the forum dir must be web browseable. Matt's home dir is not web browseable, but ../ww/docs is browseable. So: cd ww, cd docs, md new-forum-dir-name.

LAMP Pattern (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP) Requirements

Apache (any, 1.0 or 2.0)

MySQL (4.0, 4.1, or 3.3)

PhP (4.3.10+)

Ilia will set intall.php script up on a server for me and give me ftp address and login parms. Remember to transfer in Binary only.

Support for Matt's Forum see fudforum.org site support docs

Tricks regarding pages is that t=name points to the template file that will render that page, if t=msg, then msg.html will render that template.

Forum templates
----------------
Most is stored in the forum_css.tmpl file as seen in template editor. This is a standard css style sheet, support can be had from w3c; editing can be done in any html editor, such as Notepad. Will see sections of html within the templates. Language used is straight out, trade html.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: hide or stripe out email messages in the posts
Next Topic: adding a text box inside message body (float/right)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 21:38:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01986 seconds