FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » marking new posts in msgs tree
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5020] Fri, 16 August 2002 06:09 Go to next message
venus is currently offline  venus   Russian Federation

is there any plans to make new posts different from others when reading theme in threaded and flat mode? by changing post icon color or by adding new icon/test in subject for example.

i like this in wwwthreads and want such feature for FUDforum.
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5088 is a reply to message #5020] Tue, 20 August 2002 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Latest CVS has this feature.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon14.gif  Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5101 is a reply to message #5088] Tue, 20 August 2002 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Tue, 20 August 2002 23:55

Latest CVS has this feature.

cool. Smile
FUDforum is best now, so only thing people need to migrate from other forum soft is "one email - many users" option in main config. Wink
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5102 is a reply to message #5101] Tue, 20 August 2002 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Existing conversion scripts that I've written have a handler for this situation already, you may want to look @ how that was done and implement something simular in your own conversion script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5103 is a reply to message #5102] Tue, 20 August 2002 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Wed, 21 August 2002 01:37

Existing conversion scripts that I've written have a handler for this situation already, you may want to look @ how that was done and implement something simular in your own conversion script.

so there is no chance that this option will be implemented in the future?

there are many different situations possible when such option can be usefull. i can use one login (root) for administrative purposes, other for announces and third - for normal posts for example, or one login from home and other from work, etc.
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5104 is a reply to message #5103] Tue, 20 August 2002 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Perphaps, if you can convince me that there is a real need for it. Personally, I see no problem with entering 2 distict email address'. In your example where you had 1 home and 1 work account you probably want 2 seperate email address' anyway. Why, well simple if you decide that you want to recieve email notifications and you use your home email account for both work/home accounts then it is likely you would not be able to see the notification until you come home.
Allowing multiple registrations under the same account also presents a serious problem of people creating duplicate accounts and posing as 2 or more people. This is a fairly common issue of forums, especially popular ones.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5105 is a reply to message #5104] Tue, 20 August 2002 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Oh yes, one more thing, as far as hacks go it is pretty easy to alter FUDforum's code to allow for this type of functionality.
All that's needed is to make the index on email field non unique and remove the uniqueness checker inside register.php.

While I am at it, I just 'uncovered' yet another problem with allowing more then 1 user per email. Currently when a person looses their password they can reset it by entering their email address and via that address' get a new password. I hope I do not need to explain that this would be a BIG problem in the event that there are >1 users per email account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5114 is a reply to message #5105] Wed, 21 August 2002 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Russian Federation
prottoss wrote on Tue, 20 August 2002 16:18

All that's needed is to make the index on email field non unique and remove the uniqueness checker inside register.php.

i've allready did so temporary when importing w3t data. i have experienced with php enough to make changes i need myself, but this forum called "FUDforum suggestions", so i here. :) i think optional feature is always better than hardcoded limit. linux admin always can set limit "one account for one name" or can enable disk quotes, but he is free to leave this disabled.

prottoss wrote on Tue, 20 August 2002 16:18

While I am at it, I just 'uncovered' yet another problem with allowing more then 1 user per email. Currently when a person looses their password they can reset it by entering their email address and via that address' get a new password. I hope I do not need to explain that this would be a BIG problem in the event that there are >1 users per email account.

most simple solution - ask users for his/her username/nick but not for email.
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5116 is a reply to message #5114] Wed, 21 August 2002 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you just ask for nick name anyone can cause reset emails to be sent by entering login names of users on the forum. You could then use this forum feature to spam users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5118 is a reply to message #5116] Wed, 21 August 2002 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Wed, 21 August 2002 17:31

If you just ask for nick name anyone can cause reset emails to be sent by entering login names of users on the forum. You could then use this forum feature to spam users.

what if ask user to enter nick and email?
Re: marking new posts in msgs tree [message #5120 is a reply to message #5118] Wed, 21 August 2002 14:10 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, that would need to be done, if such a thing is implemented.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2 more options in profile
Next Topic: tree view and new messages icons
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 14:21:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02465 seconds