FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Separating Threads
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Separating Threads [message #5230] Sat, 24 August 2002 02:04 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
I am enjoying the tree implementation in the flat view. How about a table for each thread to delineate each one?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 03:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Separating Threads [message #5231 is a reply to message #5230] Sat, 24 August 2002 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Not sure I understand, I went to the site you've shown, their 'tree' seems to be the same as the one generated by FUDforum's tree view for a single thread.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5242 is a reply to message #5231] Sat, 24 August 2002 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool Compare this. Please don't look at the code itself; just the results; I'm sure you can do it much better than me if you think it is worthwile.

Not only would this provide a visual beginning and end of the thread ( the "tree" does that also ) but this would visually, as well as phyically, separate the threads.

THANKS!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Separating Threads [message #5248 is a reply to message #5242] Sat, 24 August 2002 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Interesting idea, but I do not like the way it comes together seems rather messy because all the columns are not alligned.
Myabe simply adding a blank seperator line between the threads could accomplish the same effect and remain consistent with page's layout?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5257 is a reply to message #5248] Sun, 25 August 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, I thought something like that would be helpful. yeah, I didn't try to align the columns; I was just showing the effect. I'm sure that with a little thought and the correct html code, it would all be aligned properly.

Separator might work too. Still, I think the box around the msg is the best but....

The msg board sold by gossamer-threads.com doesn't separate the threads and I think some of the inherent value of the flat view with a tree suffers as a result. But maybe it is just me...

Gene
Re: Separating Threads [message #5271 is a reply to message #5230] Mon, 26 August 2002 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Implemented in latest CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5272 is a reply to message #5271] Mon, 26 August 2002 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be interesting to see what you did. Earlier today I played around a little bit with the output code - trying to help you with a solution. But inserting a table caused the columns on the right not to line up - the author and Started on columns seemed to be controlled by th tags. That and the topic column which is set at 100%. I even tried coloring the first row of the message with a different color. Well, I'm no expert that's for sure.

FUDForum is maturing very nicely. Great Job...

Gene
Re: Separating Threads [message #5273 is a reply to message #5272] Mon, 26 August 2002 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've done some CSS hackery, which seems to work. you'll see the results when 2.3.0 comes out.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5274 is a reply to message #5273] Mon, 26 August 2002 02:07 Go to previous message
great, I want to see what you've done with the css...

I'm looking forward to 2.3.0 so I can use the new upgrade script to fix my site. Thanks...

Gene
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: tree view and new messages icons
Next Topic: Today's post
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 20:19:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.46993 seconds