FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Very slow response times
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  Very slow response times [message #6000] Mon, 30 September 2002 19:22 Go to next message
patrick is currently offline  patrick   Netherlands
I've installed the forum software and experience very slow response times comparing to the FUD support forum.

My provider uses Apache & MySQL and does not allow me to use 'pconnect'. I've done the following two things:

-1- Modified the 'index.php'file. I've replaced 'mysql_pconnect' with 'mysql_connect'

-2- I've set 'Use Persistent Connections' to 'No'

Question!
Why is there both a hard-coded change and a configurable change required?

Question!
Is it possible that by not using persistent connections the forum becomes very slow?

Question!
Could a slow web-server also be the result of the slow response? (How can I check/test this)

Question!
What's the best I can do to speedup the forum?

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Very slow response times [message #6005 is a reply to message #6000] Mon, 30 September 2002 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
To switch from persitant connection to non-persistant connections you should've went to the admin control panel and changed the 'Use Persistent Connections:' option. Modifying the source files was NOT the correct approach.

Nope, this very forum does not use persistant connections and as you can see it runs pretty fast. In fact many people do not use persistant connections and I have not heard any complains about speed.

The reasons why your forum could be slow are numerous. Such as high load on the server due to other applications, old version of MySQL (some old MySQL versions has trouble resolving indexes in complex queries, which means some things are not being indexed), server is low on free memory and is using swap memory instead of RAM.

What you can do depends on what kind of access you got to the server, if you are an admin then you can improve the situation by addressing the problems I've descirbed above. Otherwise you can try to indetify the problem and contact the admin/web host and ask them to address the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Very slow response times [message #6011 is a reply to message #6005] Mon, 30 September 2002 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The provider uses MySQL 3.23.49, 49 is pretty recent. Therefor I should look into the other advise that you gave me.

The access I've got to the server is restricted to the 'virtual host functionality' the provider has given me.

Re: Very slow response times [message #6013 is a reply to message #6011] Mon, 30 September 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try running the following commands (via shell, or PHP if shell is not avaliable).

'w' it'll tell you the current CPU load on the machine, the lower the better Wink. For example this server is a dual CPU box, who's load hovers around 1, meaning that 1 cpu is completely busy.
If you got shell access, try running 'top' in addition to load and list of running process' it'll tell you the memory utilization.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Very slow response times [message #6016 is a reply to message #6013] Mon, 30 September 2002 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What exactly are the commands I have to try?

Your last post only mentioned 'w'

Patrick
Re: Very slow response times [message #6017 is a reply to message #6016] Mon, 30 September 2002 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The other command is 'top'. You can also try to see what CPU(s) the server got, by opening /proc/cpuinfo, it is a file containing info about the server's cpu(s).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Very slow response times [message #6043 is a reply to message #6017] Tue, 01 October 2002 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

How do I use 'w' within a PHP script.

I've tried 'top' from the shell, but it's not a known command within the shell that I've got.

'/proc/cpuinfo' did not exist within the virtual domain that is supplied.

Cheers, Patrick
Re: Very slow response times [message #6044 is a reply to message #6043] Tue, 01 October 2002 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, some commands may have been disabled for security reasons, if you have shell access you might as well try the 'w' command there.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon8.gif  Re: Very slow response times [message #6046 is a reply to message #6000] Tue, 01 October 2002 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just contacted the provider and know what the problem is. The database server is connected to a different network Mad . They wrote me that there is a 'ping-difference' of 150 ms. I guess that the database connections go through the internet.

Assuming that there are a serious number of database calls for each user-action, this will have a serious impact in the response time.
Re: Very slow response times [message #6047 is a reply to message #6046] Tue, 01 October 2002 15:59 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, that would exaplain the slowness, I imagine the server is probably on a local lan, but that still is no where as fast as UNIX domain socket or local TCP/IP connections.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: New Thread Error
Next Topic: Avatar Management Confusion
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 23:55:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03401 seconds