FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Default theme doesn't apply
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Default theme doesn't apply [message #6222] Sun, 06 October 2002 16:32 Go to next message
holger.linge is currently offline  holger.linge   Germany
Hi

I've installed the forum, but it just looks Horrible! Seems like the default theme does not apply. The css looks fine, so it seems to be a misconfiguration.

Take a look at http://www.eaw-db.de/bbs

What do i have to do?

Thanks in advance
Holger

[Updated on: Sun, 06 October 2002 16:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6223 is a reply to message #6222] Sun, 06 October 2002 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
the html is ok, but it seems as if the CSS isn't at the right place or is not readable for the webserver.

- take a look at the installation directories. i guess somethings wrong with it. the css and all images are badly linked.

or

- permissions. perhaps all images and the CSS file can't be read by the webserver.

ps: 18,27421605587 seconds for the index.php page, pretty slow server Sad
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6224 is a reply to message #6223] Sun, 06 October 2002 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holger.linge is currently offline  holger.linge   Germany
Just checking this:

Yes, you were right. One directory had a false chmod.

Could you give me a short overview what objects need what chmod? I'd like to make my account as "locked up" as possible.

cu
Holger
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6228 is a reply to message #6224] Sun, 06 October 2002 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
Do NOT lock up ur files using the feature in the admin control panel. This will only work if the webserver owns the files. Because of the Puretec settings, the server will never own ur files hence chmodding them to 700 means that it cannot access them any more (neither files' owner nor member of the group). Best option is to create a .htaccess with "deny from all" for ur hidden directory. The server needs to write on these files and so does it for ur theme directory. Further write access is needed for the smileys and avatars directories.
bye
Ken
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6230 is a reply to message #6224] Sun, 06 October 2002 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
0,21648907661438 Sekunden

nice, everything works fine now Smile

if the webservers doesn't own the dirs and files of FUD Forum, how did you install it? Without the install.php?

Anyway, there are suspicious many "23" on your page Wink have you seen the movie?

good night - andy

Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6240 is a reply to message #6230] Sun, 06 October 2002 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
To understand this, u have to be familiar with Unix Smile. In general, files on UNIX systems have three properties of ownership.

1. owner himself
-rw------- 1 JoeDoe Staff
This would be read and right access, neither the group (staff) nor anyone else could get access to this file. the command would be:
chmod 600

2.group

-rwxr-x--- 1 JoeDoe Staff
let's assume joe doe has a kewl shell script (hence the executable flag is set) and wants his group members (staff) to make use of it too. to avoid changes to this file he removed the write flag. Anyone else still hasn't got access to this file. the command would be:
chmod 750

3. anyone else

the same joe doe has written a useful manual on how to perform file manipulations using perl. he would set the file to:
-rw-r--r-- 1 JoeDoe Staff
which equals chmod 644 Only in this case anyone who has access to the system can read the file. And exactly this case applies to Puretec. The server runs all scripts through the cgi wrapper as an unprivileged user. it does not own the files and belongs to a different group. hence it can only show the files if it has the "anyone" access.

4. Directories

Directories' rights have higher priority. if ur file has
-rwxr-xr-x and is a perlscript and resides in a directory with dr-x------ then it means that the file inherits this attribute -> the server can't read it. The owner himself can only modify or delete this existing file in the directory but can't create a new one because the inherited attribute is -r-x------ for files in the directory. As the directory's owner he still can individually change the file's right

Please note: u need at last read and execute flag for entering a directory. x because u want to invoke commands like ls or cat, don't u? Smile So the only useful options are r+x (5) r+w+x (7) or nothing (0)

This is how it works Smile Where the server can take the ownership of the files (php must be running as apache module) it can be made safe by chmodding anything to 600. Where it runs as cgi chmod 600 would be like shooting oneself in the foot.
hope this helps
bye Ken

[Updated on: Sun, 06 October 2002 21:39]

Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6243 is a reply to message #6240] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you didn't write all that for me Sad

I'm quite familiar with unix, but not with the php safe mode. I know a few other languages as C++, Java and Perl, but not php.
In fact, the first time I saw what you can do with php safe mode was the install.php script of this forum.

Protoss explained that the install.php has a binary archive of the rest of the forum attached. The webserver then creates all the dirs and extracts the files to them in safe mode.

Ken, you said on puretec the webservers doesn't own the files.

My question was how was the FUDForum installed on this puretec server?

cheers - andy
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6245 is a reply to message #6243] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
At first u need to create the directories for the forum and the hidden files. it needs 777 as attribute because that will be the location the install script will write to. next put it anywhere u like on ur webserver (or account), it just has to be within ur webroot. after a fresh install it will default to chmod 600 for the theme directory. This will cause the problem already described by Holger. Best is to unlock the files in the AdminCP. sounds dangerous, but it isn't actually because, at Puretec the server never owns the files. The downside is of course that someone invoking commands via php will be able to browse ur directory and possibly read ur scriptfiles. U can't change this because at the same time u would prevent the webserver from reading ur files too. But this does not apply to the forum. it stores sensitive data within the hidden dir. Since the files there are never called directly u can protect this dir with .htaccess .
Bye Ken

[Updated on: Sun, 06 October 2002 22:33]

Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6250 is a reply to message #6245] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you still misunderstand me.

i just wanted to know if there's another way to install the forum without the install.php script.
did you d/l all the files from the cvs or where did you get all the files from?

cheers - andy
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6253 is a reply to message #6250] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no way to install the forum without the install.php script. And there is unlikely to ever be one, the only possible thing I see for the future, is the ability to install the forum via an install script that can run via the shell, rather then via the webserver like it does.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6260 is a reply to message #6250] Sun, 06 October 2002 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
valiant wrote on Mon, 07 October 2002 00:43

you still misunderstand me.

i just wanted to know if there's another way to install the forum without the install.php script.

Xuse me, what? Ur original question sounded kinda different:
Quote:

Ken, you said on puretec the webservers doesn't own the files.

My question was how was the FUDForum installed on this puretec server?
I can't really see that I misunderstood a single word. Besides it's like prottoss already pointed out. It doesn't make much sense to manually copy the files to the server.
Bye Ken
Re: Default theme doesn't apply [message #6262 is a reply to message #6260] Sun, 06 October 2002 23:41 Go to previous message
oops, I missed a word in your last post which changes everything Smile

got it now, thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Public stats option does not work
Next Topic: can't run install.php, Internal Server Error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 15:50:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02166 seconds