FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » FUD needs a new default style  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: FUD needs a new default style [message #6268 is a reply to message #6183] Mon, 07 October 2002 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
I tried to look at your msg board but I would have had to register.

As for the issue of functionality vs "conventional standards" I have broached and lost that discussion two or three times. Take a look at what the standard conventions produce: http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=889&rid=177&S=a 8bb149c1318697b075767a1f3e42126#msg_4897. Now try posting a message; find the preview and submit button. So much for the standard. This may be more the exception than the rule but...( also notice that the preview area is at the top of the screen and the submit button is a click or two down on the vertical scroll bar and maybe even click or two to the right on the horizontal scroll bar )

I guess the "standard" may contribute to the generally accepted view that the keyboard commanders are faster than the mousers 'cause the poor mousers have to enter data on the left side of the screen and then drag the mouse pointer all the way from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen before they can click that button.

The standard should be that the buttons should be located as close to the data entry area as reasonably practical taking into consideration that if inside a table with a percentage width that table can "grow" to the right of the monitor.

As I type this the, upload file button is just under one inch from this line whil the 6 inches away and the submit reply button is 9 inches away ( hey, my undergraduate degree is in Industrial Management ). And the "standard" says it is "better" to move my mouse 9 inches vs 1 inch???? Time to change the standard!

This does in fact seem to be a somwhat common practice ( but see invisionboard.com....to locate a button in an out-of-the-way place. An efficiency expert might think this inefficient. I did; until I looked at what my mouse was moving over...COMMERCIAL ADS. Now I understand why "they" set the "standard" they way they did.

But this is a minor issue ( although in the link above it was a major annoyance with my 19in screen ) when compared to the overall great functionality of this software....and this is great software.

Just my dos centavos. no comment required....just venting...

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message