FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Tips on installation for virtual domains
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6242] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:07 Go to next message
patrick is currently offline  patrick   Netherlands
When I installed the FUD two weeks ago, I had some problems.

I used the installation script in order to install.
(I noticed that the Apache server was running in safe-mode)

After installing the application I noticed that the directories and files that where created had '48' (Apache) as the 'owner' and also '48' as the group defined. Because of the security associated with the directory/file structure I did not have full access on all directories/items.

I asked the provider to 'chown' recursively the 'www_server_rout' and 'data_root' directories in order to give me full access. Afterwards I was able to use the Forum without any issues.

Do you have any specific advice for this type of installations.
Because of current issues I have with the forum application I probably need to reinstall it.

Cheers,
Patrick
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6249 is a reply to message #6242] Sun, 06 October 2002 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, I do test the install/upgrade script in safe_mode enviroment, so far I had not come across any problems.

Chowning the files away from webserver is actually a 'bad' thing, since it'll cause problems when you will try to upgrade.

Safe mode works by comparing the owner of the file and the files/directories it tries to open. Meaning that as long as forum's files are owned by the same user who is trying to open then you are ok.
Now, safe_mode has no affect on the FTP, so you will able to download/upload files from your computer without problems. If you do encounter access problems, go to the Forum's Lock/Unlock control panel and Unlock the forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6272 is a reply to message #6249] Mon, 07 October 2002 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sun, 06 October 2002 18:39

Well, I do test the install/upgrade script in safe_mode enviroment, so far I had not come across any problems.

Chowning the files away from webserver is actually a 'bad' thing, since it'll cause problems when you will try to upgrade.

Safe mode works by comparing the owner of the file and the files/directories it tries to open. Meaning that as long as forum's files are owned by the same user who is trying to open then you are ok.

I've reinstalled the software and all worked fine. You are correct about chowning. After my first install, two weeks ago, I noticed that the applications is creating and accessing files, it therefor requires the proper access. Chowning could disturb this.

Quote:

Now, safe_mode has no affect on the FTP, so you will able to download/upload files from your computer without problems. If you do encounter access problems, go to the Forum's Lock/Unlock control panel and Unlock the forum's files.

Through FTP I do not have access to e.g. the forum data directory. See below:

drwxr-xr-x   13 48       48           4096 Oct  7 12:07 forum_data

In this case user and group assigned to my forum_data directory are both '48' (apache). Through my 'admin' account I only have r_x access.
However, I did noticed that the 'File Administration System' option from the FUD Admin page does give me some access. (Probably everything I need.) I'm able to upload files and even chmod files!! (Understandable since the php-scripts run under the 'apache' account.)
However, I was surprised to be able to chmod files since I thought that this was not allowed when safe-mode is being used.

Thanks for all your support!!
Cheers, Patrick
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6283 is a reply to message #6272] Mon, 07 October 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Given the directory permissions you are showing me FTP client WILL be able to read the files inside that directory. If you want to write/delete files then you'll need to user the 'Lock/Unlock Files' control panel and 'Unlock' the files.

Safe mode works by comparing the uid of the files that is running and the file it is trying to access. You get errors when those 2 do not match, otherwise you get no problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6284 is a reply to message #6283] Mon, 07 October 2002 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I understand what you mean now Smile .

Thanks, Patrick
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6318 is a reply to message #6283] Tue, 08 October 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 07 October 2002 10:28

Given the directory permissions you are showing me FTP client WILL be able to read the files inside that directory. If you want to write/delete files then you'll need to user the 'Lock/Unlock Files' control panel and 'Unlock' the files.

Safe mode works by comparing the uid of the files that is running and the file it is trying to access. You get errors when those 2 do not match, otherwise you get no problems.

I just tried to 'Lock' but the system is responding:

Quote:

ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/adm/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/adm
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/custom_avatars/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/custom_avatars
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/mime/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/mime
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/smiley_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/smiley_icons
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/message_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/message_icons
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/forum_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (700)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/forum_icons

Then I tried to unlock:

Quote:

ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/adm/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/adm
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/custom_avatars/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/custom_avatars
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/mime/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/mime
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/smiley_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/smiley_icons
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/message_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/message_icons
ERROR: /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/forum_icons/_vti_cnf -> d (777)
unable to chdir to _vti_cnf in /home/virtual/site210/fst/var/www/html/forum/images/forum_icons

When I checked the '_vti_cnf' directories I noticed that for both owner & group, my (virtual host) administration account was accosiated. In case of other directories it is '48' (Apache)

Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6323 is a reply to message #6318] Tue, 08 October 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Those you can ignore, these directories were NOT created by the forum but rather frontpage extensions that appear to be enabled for your account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6327 is a reply to message #6242] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:02 Go to previous message

Ok, Thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Failed opening required 'theme/default/index.php'
Next Topic: nm
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 10:47:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02403 seconds