FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Problem with File Attachments
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problem with File Attachments [message #6329] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:10 Go to next message
patrick is currently offline  patrick   Netherlands

I'm not able to perform any file attachments any more.

Yesterday it did work. The only administration activity undertaken since then was to lock the forum files. I've tried to unlock them to see if it made any difference, but it did not.

The upload function seems to do something, but without any result or error message.

The error log viewer from the administration page did not log anything associated.

Any idea what this could be?
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6330 is a reply to message #6329] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Check the permissions on the files/ directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6333 is a reply to message #6330] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drwxrwxrwx    2 48       48           4096 Oct  7 19:09 files

rwx for all since I've unlocked the files.

File Attachments Setting for this forum:

Allowed File Extensions: (unrestricted) 
Maximum File Size: 1024Kb
Maximum Files per Message: 1  
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6334 is a reply to message #6333] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What are the permissions of the files inside theme/default/ or whatever theme you are using?
If the uid of the user is NOT the same as the owner of the files directory, you've got a problem since safe_mode wouldn't prevent copying of files in that case.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6336 is a reply to message #6334] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

They are all like the one below:

-rw-rw-rw-    1 48       48         108705 Oct  7 12:49 ppost.php

(48 in all cases)
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6343 is a reply to message #6336] Tue, 08 October 2002 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When the forum is unlocked, do you still experience problems uploading files?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6344 is a reply to message #6343] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I do.
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6347 is a reply to message #6344] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does your PHP log errors into a file? Try to see if it does, in the event it does check that file for any errors.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6348 is a reply to message #6329] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where should I look for this file? (Since I'm on a virtual host)
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6349 is a reply to message #6348] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
First check phpinfo() to see if this is done, if it is, phpinfo() will also tell you where you can find that file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6352 is a reply to message #6329] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok...

This is all I could find about error....
PHP Core:
                      Local    Master
error_append_string   no value no value 
error_log             no value no value 
error_prepend_string  no value no value 
error_reporting       2039     2039 
html_errors           On       On 
log_errors            Off      Off 
track_errors          Off      Off 
xmlrpc_error_numbe    0        0 
xmlrpc_errors         Off      Off 

Can you see if it is switched on?

Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6353 is a reply to message #6352] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I just noticed that my forum application is still version 2.3.1 Shocked . I must have made a mistake and swapped the installation files since I did download 2.3.2 stable Confused .

Could it be possible that the application is showing an incorrect version, or was it my mistake?

In case of version 2.3.1, are you aware of any file attachement problems?
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6354 is a reply to message #6352] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is switched off, see: log_errors Off Off

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6355 is a reply to message #6353] Tue, 08 October 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unlikely if you installed 2.3.2 it would show 2.3.2.

Between version 2.3.2 and 2.3.1 file attachment code was re-written from scratch.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6356 is a reply to message #6355] Tue, 08 October 2002 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ok, a good reason to re-install then.
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6360 is a reply to message #6355] Tue, 08 October 2002 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I reinstalled the application. The forum displayed version 2.3.2.

Then I restored the backup and the forum displayed version 2.3.1 again.

Does the backup somehow takes application files with it?

Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6361 is a reply to message #6360] Tue, 08 October 2002 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes it does. In fact it is clearly specified you should NEVER import data dump from 1 version into a forum running on another version.
Upgrades scripts exist for that very reason.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6362 is a reply to message #6361] Tue, 08 October 2002 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok.

What should I do then to have my forum data available again?
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6363 is a reply to message #6362] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well you are somewhat in an undefined situation right now. The best bet would be to grab an upgrade script and upgrade to version 2.3.2

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6365 is a reply to message #6363] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

O.k. Good thing to try.

... However... (i'm sorry, but I'm running into an other issue)

I'm trying to upload the upgrade file into the WWW_SERVER_ROOT directory using the FUD file manager. It seems to do something, but when finished, no file seems to be updated.

Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6366 is a reply to message #6365] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick wrote on Tue, 08 October 2002 17:43

O.k. Good thing to try.

... However... (i'm sorry, but I'm running into an other issue)

I'm trying to upload the upgrade file into the WWW_SERVER_ROOT directory using the FUD file manager. It seems to do something, but when finished, no file seems to be updated.

typing mistake.

I mean... no file seems to be uploaded.
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6367 is a reply to message #6365] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Check the maximum upload limit your host allows the file may too big and PHP is aborting to the upload.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6368 is a reply to message #6367] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yep,

upload_max_filesize
 2M 2M 

I'll try to find out what to do now.
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6370 is a reply to message #6368] Tue, 08 October 2002 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can generate a compressed version of the installation/upgrade script, read the manual for instructions. The resulting file would be ~800k, so well within your upload limit.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6382 is a reply to message #6370] Wed, 09 October 2002 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You probably mean to use cvs:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous(at)asuka(dot)prohost(dot)org:/forum21 checkout fud21_upgrade

I've tried this, but it looks like cvs has not been provided within my host.

I checked the .tar.bz2 & .tar.gz files, but they will probably not help me further. I should be able to upload them using the FUD file manager, but when unpacking them they will get the wrong owner. (safe-mode issue)

I've requested the provider to change the 'upload_max_filesize' value, but I'm not sure if they will do this.
An other option could be to ask them to chown the upgrade.php file that i've uploaded through FTP.

Something else.....

This thread started with a upload problem within the forum application. A person tried to upload a file that was about 3mb. He did not succeed. This could very well be because of the same 'upload_max_filesize' issue and not with anything not functioning within the forum.
When he informed me, i've tried a small example (some bytes) and this failed also. In this cased it should not have anything to do with the 'upload_max_filesize' value, since the file was small. However do you maybe see some relationship here???

Cheers, Patrick

Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6386 is a reply to message #6382] Wed, 09 October 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well you can use CVS from your personal computer, even if you use Windows there is WinCVS client avaliable.

you can 'chown' the upgrade.php yourself via a small trick.

<?php
copy('upgrade.php', 'upgrade2.php');
?>

the 'upgrade2.php' will be owned by the webserver.

Given the fact you've installed a 2.3.2 forum and then imported a 2.3.1 datadump I'll say that until you are @ version 2.3.2 the behaviour of your forum falls into the realm of the undefined.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6388 is a reply to message #6386] Wed, 09 October 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks,

I just came to the same idea 30 minutes ago, copying the file through a php script and it worked. The upgrade seem to work fine.
I'll continue to test the issues I had before.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers, Patrick
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6389 is a reply to message #6386] Wed, 09 October 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the problem.

I upgraded the forum to 2.3.2 and still had the problem, but I found out what it was.

When the other person tried to upload the file (3Mb)it failed because the upload_max_filesize was set to 2Mb.

I tried to run a test with a file ('test.txt'). This failed.
The reason was that the file was empty and had a size of 0 bytes. A soon as i entered 1 byte it was uploading perfectly.

At least, this simple problem teached me about upgrading, 'upload_max_filesize', safe-mode, PHP log files, CVS and chowning tricks. Smile

Thanks, Patrick
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6396 is a reply to message #6389] Wed, 09 October 2002 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
BTW: there's even a commandline version of cvs for win32. I'd always prefer this one over a gui program because u may write some handy batchfiles which perform the query process for u. I don't know whether this works in Windows with command.com or cmd.exe but with bash and Linux it does Smile
bye
Ken
Re: Problem with File Attachments [message #6397 is a reply to message #6396] Wed, 09 October 2002 18:52 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you have cygwin installed you can use/compile the command line versions. Besides that I only know of WinCVS, try searching on Google, since I only use *nix my knowdledge of Windows CVS clients is rather limited...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: DIGEST
Next Topic: Editing group members while forum is disabled.
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 10:41:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04782 seconds