FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Feature Suggestions & Requests  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #6786] Thu, 24 October 2002 11:58 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Up until the 2.3.5 release I intend to keep the forum under a feature freeze of sorts in an effort to create the most stable distribution possible.
Once the 2.3.5 release is made, I will once again be looking at adding new features. This affect I am creating a special thread (this thread) where I will take suggestions for feature requests.
The suggestions will be discussed and the ones I agree with will be put on an 'official' todo list.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7020 is a reply to message #6786] Sun, 03 November 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Suggestion for new feature.

Personally, I like the rank system. Unfortunetly, its prone to people posting silly little short annoying posts just to get their rank up.

Which brings me to the suggestion:
Instead of basing rank of number of posts, have an option to base rank on number of points awarded by moderators/group leaders/admin. I would give points to users who asked pertinent questions in the proper forum, and give points to those who helped by answering those questions. Users who posted frivilous posts or flamed other users would not receive points.

This way, users who helped others by answering questions and posting helpful information to others would receive points.

I'm sure that someone could up with a way to abuse the point system, but I think it would be neat and actually make rank more important.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Sun, 03 November 2002 16:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7027 is a reply to message #7020] Mon, 04 November 2002 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The biggest problem with any sort of rankings is that this becomes a terrible popularity contest. Even with the best safe guards in place, individual user ranks become the focus of the forum/discussion board rather the content of the board. I have spent considerable time earlier researching the issue and have reached the conclusion that for majority of users this would be a hinderance rather then a benefit.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7029 is a reply to message #7027] Mon, 04 November 2002 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zapal   Poland
If you were to write any different form of ranking I would suggest ranking based on the amount of bytes/characters/words written by the user (excluding quotes). But this kind of ranking would slow down the engine a bit.
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7032 is a reply to message #7029] Mon, 04 November 2002 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not to mention being very easy to trick, actually in terms of implementing it would be damn fast. But consider, I could beaf up my rating by simply posting bogus messages or random text...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7040 is a reply to message #6786] Tue, 05 November 2002 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which is exactly why I suggested the assigned-point-ranking-system. Only trusted moderators and myself would assign points. It could be logged in the Action Log for review if needed.

It would totally cut out the practice of posting short messages whose only purpose is to raise rank.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
icon3.gif  Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7046 is a reply to message #6786] Tue, 05 November 2002 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KVentz is currently offline  KVentz   Russian Federation
Hi!

Thanks for great software - the best forum I've ever seen.

It will be great to show first 3 numbers of IP address (195.168.1.*) instead of domain name when "Public Host Resolving" is on and forum can not resolve sender host from IP.
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7088 is a reply to message #6786] Thu, 07 November 2002 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I understand it, the prune function in FUDforum permanently deletes posts past the prune limit.

One feature I like from Ultimate BB is the ability for users to only see topics that had new activity in the last X number of days. Older topics are not even displayed unless the user selects a another time period from a drop down field. UBB's default time period is the last 20 days. Take a look at this forum view at http://www.starbasedelta.com/scripts/ubb-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics &forum=The+Black+Hole&number=7&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

This seems to speed up the page loading speed as the less that is displayed, the faster it loads.

I ask that this feature be considered for a future version of FUDforum.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2002 03:26]

Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7090 is a reply to message #7088] Thu, 07 November 2002 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
AutoHost wrote on Wed, 06 November 2002 22:23

As I understand it, the prune function in FUDforum permanently deletes posts past the prune limit.

One feature I like from Ultimate BB is the ability for users to only see topics that had new activity in the last X number of days. Older topics are not even displayed unless the user selects a another time period from a drop down field. UBB's default time period is the last 20 days. Take a look at this forum view at http://www.starbasedelta.com/scripts/ubb-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics &forum=The+Black+Hole&number=7&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

This seems to speed up the page loading speed as the less that is displayed, the faster it loads.

I ask that this feature be considered for a future version of FUDforum.

Declined.
FUDforum uses views when showing topics, this does not slow down the time it takes to display the topic no matter the ammount. The prune function is OFF by default and is primarily intended for people who have limited disk space and do not wish waste it storing old messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7091 is a reply to message #7046] Thu, 07 November 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
KVentz wrote on Tue, 05 November 2002 15:25

Hi!

Thanks for great software - the best forum I've ever seen.

It will be great to show first 3 numbers of IP address (195.168.1.*) instead of domain name when "Public Host Resolving" is on and forum can not resolve sender host from IP.

Sounds like a plan, this will be added in the next release.

FUDforum Core Developer
4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7093 is a reply to message #6786] Thu, 07 November 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smike is currently offline  smike   Germany
I told my users about the possibility to post feature requests for FUDForum.

Up to now, I received four requests:
1: Voting
I thing this topic is discussed enough in this thread.

2: Some users wanted a kind of Calender function, where public or private dates could be stored in.

3: Perhaps it would be possible to mark all postings inside one specific forum as read not only for all forums.

4: It would be nice if the preview would show all components of a message, including polls.

That's for now.

Thanks, Mike

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2002 08:00]

Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7096 is a reply to message #7093] Thu, 07 November 2002 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
[quote title=sMike wrote on Thu, 07 November 2002 02:58]I told my users about the possibility to post feature requests for FUDForum.

Quote:

Are you referring to user rating?

Quote:

2: Some users wanted a kind of Calender function, where public or private dates could be stored in.

Very unlikely, this is a forum not a jack of all trades. The only way I see a Calendar module happening if is some one pays for it's development and allows me to include it in the core distro.

Quote:

3: Perhaps it would be possible to mark all postings inside one specific forum as read not only for all forums.

Unlikely, but need further consideration.

Quote:

4: It would be nice if the preview would show all components of a message, including polls.

Maybe.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7114 is a reply to message #7096] Thu, 07 November 2002 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Den tor, 07 november 2002 15:52 skrev prottoss:

Quote:

Unlikely, but need further consideration.

I think that this would be a good thing to add. For example, I seldom want to read the posts in the test forum on this very board. Still, I don't want to mark all messages read just to skip the ones I'm not interested in.
Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7116 is a reply to message #7114] Thu, 07 November 2002 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well you can already go to a forum and click on 'unread messages', that will show all unread messages inside that forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7117 is a reply to message #7116] Thu, 07 November 2002 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but often I want to read all unread messages except for the ones in a particular forum (in this case the test forum). Having the option to mark all messages in a particular forum read would make it a little bit easier to read all new messages at once, which is what I do almost all the time. You're right though - it is not completely necessary. But I think it would add a nice touch.
Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7122 is a reply to message #7117] Thu, 07 November 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
basse wrote on Thu, 07 November 2002 17:42

Yes, but often I want to read all unread messages except for the ones in a particular forum (in this case the test forum). Having the option to mark all messages in a particular forum read would make it a little bit easier to read all new messages at once, which is what I do almost all the time. You're right though - it is not completely necessary. But I think it would add a nice touch.

Agreed, however implementation would be somewhat of a pain and require a fair number of changes... So, as I've said before, I'll keep it under consideration, but I cannot provide any timeline as to when this will be done.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 4 Feature Suggestion of my users [message #7129 is a reply to message #7096] Fri, 08 November 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss schrieb am Don, 07 November 2002 14:52

Quote:

Are you referring to user rating?

That's what I meant.

Perhaps it would make sense if you have the possibility to rate several times to one thread. Of course the new rating would overwrite the old one.
At long threads you would sometimes rate after the first few topics and notice later that your voting isn't up to date anymore.

Bye, Mike
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7151 is a reply to message #6786] Fri, 08 November 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A very little suggestion: how about adding ALT="R" to read.gif and ALT="U" unread.gif. It will be usefull, when the connection is slow: user will see read/unread messages before all images are loaded.
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7154 is a reply to message #7151] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The image already has a caption using the 'title' parameter, and the image itself is tiny, even for 14.4 users it'd take <1 second to load.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7155 is a reply to message #6786] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another one little suggestion. Now in thread view FUDforum marks message as read when user went away from this message:

------
Text of message 1
------
THREAD:
R|- Message 0
U||- Message 1
U|- Message 2
U||- ...

When user read message 1, in thread below it marked as unread. Only when he will read another message, message 1 will be marked as read. How about marking message as read when user read it but not after this?
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7156 is a reply to message #7154] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sat, 09 November 2002 02:33

the image itself is tiny, even for 14.4 users it'd take <1 second to load.

Well, but not when 5+ windows open the same time Wink
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7157 is a reply to message #7156] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Most browsers cache images, so the next time the user visits or access a different page these images will already be inside their cache. Meaning that they'll appear instantly, no waiting...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7159 is a reply to message #7157] Fri, 08 November 2002 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sat, 09 November 2002 02:43

Most browsers cache images, so the next time the user visits or access a different page these images will already be inside their cache. Meaning that they'll appear instantly, no waiting...

It should be like that, but MSIE 6 (maybe another versions too) does not do this with images in forum: every time it loads them from server. Just don't know why. Seems like another bug of tons ones in this browser...
icon3.gif  Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7161 is a reply to message #6786] Sat, 09 November 2002 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well.. Not a suggestion but an idea for future versions: adding different designs for each forum/group. It's not easy, but interesting for people who have two or more sites with different designs and wants to use one FUDforum engine for all of them to share users base. Phorum.org can do this, but it's primitive in comparison whith FUD Wink
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7168 is a reply to message #7161] Sat, 09 November 2002 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
KVentz wrote on Fri, 08 November 2002 19:24

Well.. Not a suggestion but an idea for future versions: adding different designs for each forum/group. It's not easy, but interesting for people who have two or more sites with different designs and wants to use one FUDforum engine for all of them to share users base. Phorum.org can do this, but it's primitive in comparison whith FUD Wink

No, FUDforum already has the ability to have multiple themes, each user can select a theme that they like the best via their profile. On this forum the themes are all the same in design, just have different languages, but there is nothing to stop you from making each theme with a different design.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7169 is a reply to message #7159] Sat, 09 November 2002 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
KVentz wrote on Fri, 08 November 2002 18:58

prottoss wrote on Sat, 09 November 2002 02:43

It should be like that, but MSIE 6 (maybe another versions too) does not do this with images in forum: every time it loads them from server. Just don't know why. Seems like another bug of tons ones in this browser...

Bugs in browsers are not my problem Wink My IE6.0 works just fine, so does Opera, Konqueror and Mozilla.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7300 is a reply to message #6786] Sat, 16 November 2002 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolven is currently offline  Wolven   United States
I'd like to make a comment on a few things, even though I have nothing to do with the development of the board. First off, on the ranking system, I'd like to point out that slashdot.org, possibly the most active community on the net, has a ranking system that is very very good. Moderation, Meta-Moderation, checks, people checking on it... and still noone is happy. Remember that if a ranking system is added, there is going to be a large percentage of people that don't like how it is implemented, and not only will they want changes, they will want features added to it, and people will always be coming up with ways to improve it, since it gets so much attention. I completely understand the developers here being a bit hesistant to jump on *that* particular train. As for the "view read, unread, this forum or that" deal, I have a suggestion. I'm not conversant on how this board is designed on the inside, but in the old Renegade BBS days (this is before there was a www.anything.com) a person went through a list, tagging the forums that they would see as it scanned unread. Would it be possible to implement something at a closer to user level, whereby they saw a list of threads, and specified the ones that the "unread" filter ran through? A filter on the filter, so to speak? (To put it in *nix terms, grep "unread" | grep "mylist" )

It's just a suggestion, and if it's not a feasible answer, I'll hush. I just wanted to throw my two pence in there. Protoss, and the other developers who's names I've not yet become familiar with, thank you *very* much for providing me with an alternative to vBulletin. The product is nice, but the elitism surrounding it got to be too much for me. Feature set is nice, but being able to get an opinion or idea through, that's worth gold to me. Thank you.

-Wolven.

Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7302 is a reply to message #7300] Sat, 16 November 2002 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
1) You can already do this, subscribe to the forums you wish to be 'scanned' and when you click on the 'unread messages' link toggle the 'Subscribed Forums' option.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7305 is a reply to message #7302] Sun, 17 November 2002 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolven is currently offline  Wolven   United States
I apologize. I see once again that something has been suggested that is already included. I was merely presuming it wasn't, due to the comments above, and attempted to provide a suggestion based on my familiarity with the older BBSs. I'll stop wasting your time with my comments until I've studied the software further. Thank you. :_)
Rank point system created [message #7390 is a reply to message #7300] Thu, 21 November 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have successfully created a rank point system on my forum. Points are assigned by admin for each post (0-5) and rank is based on these points.

Thank you very much for providing this excellent software!

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Rank point system created [message #7397 is a reply to message #7390] Thu, 21 November 2002 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Cool, will you publish the patch that accomplishes this? So that other people whom are interested in such a system could use it too?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Rank point system created [message #7406 is a reply to message #7397] Thu, 21 November 2002 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Thu, 21 November 2002 09:26

Cool, will you publish the patch that accomplishes this? So that other people whom are interested in such a system could use it too?

I'm not sure how. There were several src files modified, and adm/consist.php and adm/admlevel.php as well as a new table added to the database and a new column added to users table.

I mean, I can provide the actual files themselves, but not sure how to make a patch, and can provide the SQL commands to make the new table and new column in the users table...

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Thu, 21 November 2002 16:37]

Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7473 is a reply to message #6786] Sun, 24 November 2002 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I want to answer to a posting with a PM it would be nice, if the "PM"-Button would quote the original posting.
Most of the time, I have to repeat the posting, to tell the user why I write him a PM.

Bye, Mike
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7474 is a reply to message #7473] Sun, 24 November 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Use the quote button, it'll do what you want.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7475 is a reply to message #7474] Sun, 24 November 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The quote-button sends a public posting. What I meant is a private PM with the quoted public message inside.
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7605 is a reply to message #6786] Thu, 05 December 2002 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feature request:

In v2.3.5, as admin, I cannot post a message, or modify a message, in a forum that requires a posting password. I think an administrator should be able to post/edit such a forum without having to know the password.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Admin should be able to post without knowing the forum password [message #7612 is a reply to message #7605] Thu, 05 December 2002 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Den tor, 05 december 2002 16:42 skrev AutoHost:

In v2.3.5, as admin, I cannot post a message, or modify a message, in a forum that requires a posting password. I think an administrator should be able to post/edit such a forum without having to know the password.

I second the motion. This seems like a good idea to me.
Re: Admin should be able to post without knowing the forum password [message #7619 is a reply to message #7612] Thu, 05 December 2002 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Added in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon3.gif  Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7658 is a reply to message #6786] Sun, 08 December 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My users asked me, if it would be possible to create a new category named "My Forums". This new category should contain forums that are most liked of the current user.

At the beginning the "My Forums" category is empty. If a user went into forum xyz and clicks on a link "Add to My Forums" then the forum would be shown at the "My Forums" category.
If he isn't interested in this forum, he could click on a link "Remove from My Forums" and the forum wouldn't appear at the "My Forums" category.

The users have the advantage that they could close not interesting categories but pick out one or more interesting forums.

Bye and thanks for your answer,

Mike
Re: Feature Suggestions & Requests [message #7659 is a reply to message #7658] Sun, 08 December 2002 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
At the moment I must say no to this feature request. Ideally simular forums are within a single category unless disabled by admin the user can already minimize the 'unwanted' category. Thus the forums inside that category of no interest to the user do not clatter up their screen space.

FUDforum Core Developer
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Polish translation
Next Topic: templating
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:54:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03569 seconds