FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Mailing List Gateway enhancement
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing List Gateway enhancement [message #8133] Mon, 13 January 2003 06:53 Go to next message
jht001 is currently offline  jht001   United States
I just finished setting up a gateway between FUDforum (v2.3.6) and a Mailman (v2.1) mailing list -- both on a Redhat 8.0 system.

The FUDForum documentation mentions that when forum posts are sent from FUDforum to the mailing list, they will likely bounce if the user making the post is not already a member of the mailing list.

I found some simple ways to fix this.

At least in the case of Mailman, if the incoming message has an RFC-822 header line of the form:

Approved: xxxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxxxx is the Mailman list password

The message will be accepted and sent to the list even if the person sending it is not a member of the list.

FUDforum doesn't currently provide an easy way to add an RFC-822 header to an outgoing message to a mailing list.
It would be nice when setting up a FUDforum mailing list gateway, if there was a text box that let you add one or more RFC-822 headers to be included in outgoing messages to that mailing list. The headers would be different for each mailing list, so it would need to be specific to each mailing list setup.

The other way to fix the problem is to modify the mailing list manager. For Mailman, I modified the source code to automatically approve messages if the X-mailer header included the string 'FUDforum'.

Jim

Re: Mailing List Gateway enhancement [message #8145 is a reply to message #8133] Mon, 13 January 2003 15:25 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Good idea, I'll look into allowing the user to specify a set of custom headers.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Announcements suggestion
Next Topic: limit registeration
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 13:50:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07355 seconds