FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » limit registeration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
limit registeration [message #7948] Wed, 01 January 2003 17:16 Go to next message
Stan is currently offline  Stan   United States
My board was attacked the other day, and he was registering 3 times a second.It brought the database down to it's knees.I disabled registration and he then switched to asking for a password reminder.

The script he was using would use a different proxy and name/email for each post.

What about a optional feature that would limit the time between each request and limit the reminders to one per day ? or maybe a proxy ban feature ?

Stan
Re: limit registeration [message #7972 is a reply to message #7948] Fri, 03 January 2003 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It is nearly impossible to ban proxies since anonymous proxies appear identical to the a regular user. Your best bet is to block this user by IP using your firewall. Eventually he will run out of proxies, if he using a particular ISP's for his email, bad all registration from that e-mail address using the email filter feature of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: limit registeration [message #8149 is a reply to message #7948] Mon, 13 January 2003 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Stan wrote on Wed, 01 January 2003 12:16

What about a optional feature that would limit the time between each request and limit the reminders to one per day ?

Stan

I would like to see both of these incorporated, as it is a proactive approach rather than just reactive. It seems to be a great way to limit the speed of attacks in advance rather than just trying to deal with them after the fact or during an attack.

You already have a 60 second limit between posts, which I guess was put into place in response to an attack.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: limit registeration [message #8155 is a reply to message #8149] Mon, 13 January 2003 17:01 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm interesting idea, certainly worth considering, I'll look into adding a registration time limiter.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mailing List Gateway enhancement
Next Topic: Complete version change list?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 22:33:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03003 seconds