FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Keeping threads from jumping around
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Keeping threads from jumping around [message #8288] Mon, 20 January 2003 20:27 Go to next message
costa is currently offline  costa   United States
I want my threads to stay in the order that they were posted. If I post to a thread at the bottom of the screen, it jumps to the top! This is typical of all boards except the one I am trying to replace >>
http://www.cubanonet.com/cgi-bin/bbs/index.cgi

Is there any way to keep threads "stuck" to where they started??

"Cienfuegos es la ciudad que me gusta mas a mi" - Beny More
Re: Keeping threads from jumping around [message #8292 is a reply to message #8288] Mon, 20 January 2003 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Not without modifying the source code.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon9.gif  Prottoss, I'm very upset..... [message #8295 is a reply to message #8292] Mon, 20 January 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is by far the best board I have seen. Unfortunately, that single characteristic will keep me and alot of others from switching. It just doesn't make sense to me though. I know all the new boards do it, but why would you want to have a board where everything is always moving? Its like someone re-arranging a filing cabinet every few minutes.
There are already indicators for new threads, new posts, etc. The order of the Topics should be stationary...period. Its just logical, no?

Anyway, I think you guys have a GREAT board (even though I cannot use it). If you ever can come out with a version that keeps topic threads stationary, myself and alot of other web board owners would be very interested.

Thanks again Smile

http://www.cubanonet.com/cgi-bin/bbs/index.cgi

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=518
  • Attachment: banner.gif
    (Size: 36.59KB, Downloaded 1004 times)

Re: Prottoss, I'm very upset..... [message #8296 is a reply to message #8295] Mon, 20 January 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I disagree with you. First of all as you yourself had noted most, if not all bulletin boards do this, so immidiately you have to consider "what are users fimiliar with". Then you need to consider that people want to see most recent (unread) stuff first rather then things that are old. By placing older threads 1st you risk loosing topics with more recent replies.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Prottoss, I'm very upset..... [message #8299 is a reply to message #8296] Mon, 20 January 2003 21:35 Go to previous message
Yes, you're right about what most users are familiar with. I'm not bashing you for designing a board that adheres to the mass philosophy. However, there are alot of us that take the other road too.

Good luck. Again, its a great board.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to change the name of "Home"?
Next Topic: Account Moderation no tworking
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 22:29:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02463 seconds