FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages [message #8379] Sat, 25 January 2003 03:16 Go to next message
tecmes is currently offline  tecmes   Canada
This is not a bug but is a bit of an issue, eventhough I thing nothing can be made about this I wanted to point this out :

Comparing my slimmed-down FUDforum with other phpBB based forums, I noticed that eventhough FUDforum may be faster "behind the scenes", the pages it produces are actually quite big. By looking at the generated source, I noticed that a major part of the thread pages "weight" comes from the buttons which link to coded URL like this one for example :
Quote:

http://www.forum.org/fudforum/index.php?t=ppost&msg_to_list=amridus& ;amp ;amp ;returnto=%2Ffudforum%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dmsg%26th%3D19%26rid%3E1%26S%3D55fb1 8cee6ae3109efd2e648e51e39db%26pl_view%3D%16start%3D0%23msg_899%23msg_872&am p;am p;am p;rid=1&S=15fb18cee6da3109efd2e648f51e39db

Multiply this long string by the numbers of action-buttons per post times number of posts per page and you get a lot more bytes used for these links that for actual text. The result are 50-150kb pages which take quite a long time to load on RTC connections.

I wouldn't point this out if I didn't noticed that phpBB does NOT use this kind of lengthy coding for links. Surely there is a deep-going technical reason for this difference, but couldn't something be done in a future FUDforum iteration ?

[Updated on: Sat, 25 January 2003 03:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages [message #8387 is a reply to message #8379] Sun, 26 January 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
What I did to get around this problem was to go into the Admin control panel and set the Posts Per Page down to 25.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages [message #8388 is a reply to message #8387] Sun, 26 January 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tecmes is currently offline  tecmes   Canada
Yes, I did that too now, and I did something else quite silly : i edited out of the link all the S=blablabla thing. It seems to not affect the basic functions of the forum. My guess is that it is used more for stats, but then maybe my forum may eat its own innards in a a couple days, I don't know.
Anyway, along with other massive layout stramlining (because I have simplified the forum there is many uneeded tags), table layout simplification, I have managed to about halve the thread sizes, and I dont think much better can be done without removing more functionnalities.
Re: Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages [message #8401 is a reply to message #8388] Mon, 27 January 2003 15:09 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The links are long for two reasons first of all FUD always keeps a GET session id in the event cookies are not avaliable. Allowing a seemsless (for the user) switch from cookie based sessions to URL based sessions and vice versa. Some URLs are long so that to prevent dosens of queries to figure out various bits of information such as the previously visited page and so on.
Bottom line is that majority of the content on page is still the text of the message not the links. Try removing all 'long' links and see the difference, if you page is indeed 50-150kb removing long lings may only make it 10-15% smaller. The REAL solution is to use zlib compression, which will make the page 10 times smaller making it really fast on the download.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: blank post title
Next Topic: Help! Bug in mail list sincronization...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 17:25:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05170 seconds