FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Upgrade suggestions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Upgrade suggestions [message #8679] Sat, 15 February 2003 01:39 Go to next message
GreyLurk is currently offline  GreyLurk   United States

I just tried to upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.3.7 and watched helplessly as my custom theme was overwritten with the default. It's going to take hours to restore the backup files since I had both the default and custom themes, with the same file names, so I have to diff each of them to find which is which.

In the future I'd request that the upgrade program only overwrite the template files in the /default template. Let us template developers find the bugs and integrate our custom templates in ourselves.

*sigh* now back to the code. Mad
Re: Upgrade suggestions [message #8699 is a reply to message #8679] Sun, 16 February 2003 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Can't be done. As is upgrade process only changes the modified file and since styles are virtually never modified this make most changes safe. What you suggest while possible to do would result in the code break since the source code itself won't work properly without corresponding templates.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade suggestions [message #8721 is a reply to message #8699] Mon, 17 February 2003 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GreyLurk is currently offline  GreyLurk   United States

I'm talking about the custom themes. If I have two themes, the default and another one named "christmas" or something like that, I'd prefer it if the upgrade procedure would overwrite the default theme with the new default theme, but maintain the "christmas" theme as it was, and notify the upgrader that they should log in and fix any new items so that the christmas theme will continue working.
Re: Upgrade suggestions [message #9325 is a reply to message #8721] Mon, 24 March 2003 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ideally that what happens, but sometimes due to code changes the theme itself also need to change, since variable names may have become different and so on...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade suggestions [message #9394 is a reply to message #9325] Wed, 26 March 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
prottoss wrote on Mon, 24 March 2003 10:15

Ideally that what happens, but sometimes due to code changes the theme itself also need to change, since variable names may have become different and so on...

Hmmm, a large potential 'ouch'. Any variable names changed between v2.3.5 and current that you know of? I have a nice custom theme, and my added code for rank points.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Upgrade suggestions [message #9398 is a reply to message #9394] Wed, 26 March 2003 15:09 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
It should be mostly fine, you can do a CVS diff between 2.3.5 and 2.3.9RC1 to see what specific code changes were made.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error when post topic
Next Topic: database connect
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 21:43:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02268 seconds