FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Search logic failure &other stuff
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon3.gif  Search logic failure &other stuff [message #8832] Tue, 25 February 2003 17:42 Go to next message
macaran is currently offline  macaran   Czech Republic
Hey guys, it might be worth skipping look&feel stuff like icons and other silly requests and do something about the real functionality. Smile

I understand that FUDforum is not a typical commercial app, but even then..
For example try searching these forums for "help problem feature php" with OR logic. You get 40 rows per page and the pager at the bottom is lllooonnngg.. But try clicking any of the pager's links..

Don't get me wrong, your indexing system is quite impressive, it only needs totaly different search logic than you have now.

Using a few simple (up to 3x NATURAL JOINs) SQL queries, your indexing logic gives nice and accurate results even on complex searches.
But first, forget the search as it is now. Smile

Sorry for criticizing.. only trying to help you uncover what needs to be fixed. Smile

- Mac

P.S. Maybe adding a 'forum_id' into {SQL_PREFIX_TABLE}msg table would save one JOIN on the search query - this way you have to do JOIN on ~msg[thread_id],~thread[forum_id] when trying to limit search to a single forum.
Re: Search logic failure &other stuff [message #8836 is a reply to message #8832] Tue, 25 February 2003 19:32 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Adding fields for the sake of removing 1 to 1 joins is pointless only adds more complexity to ensure that data is valid etc... Performance wise it may even end up slower overall if you consider the maintenance logic' behind adding such a thing.

Current search system does indeed use OR logic, however the results are sorted by the number of words found in each message. So a message with the entire string in it would appear on the 1st page or near the very top if there are more messages with that exact string found. You could of course use the AND logic and then get a much smaller result set. For example "problem feature php" with AND logic results in only 5 entries.

The pager is indeed a bug and will be fixed.

As for search logic I think it is fine, at lease I personally don't see a better & faster approach. If you have some code example or suggestions they are more then welcome and I'll definately review/consider them.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 3-letter-usernames!!
Next Topic: Brake row location
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 14:23:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03079 seconds