FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Installation Permissions Problems...
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  Installation Permissions Problems... [message #9186] Sat, 15 March 2003 02:00 Go to next message
forrie is currently offline  forrie   United States
I've run into a few issues with the FudForum installation, where the permissions are not being set properly. For one, to facilitate file/attachment upload. Second, many files are installed as rw-rw-rw- which is, of course, bad.

Has anyone noted the same issues - at least, how to fix the file attachment problem(s).

Specifically, I seem to be able to upload a file, but when I go to "create topic" I get these errors:

Warning: fopen(/usr/local/apache/htdocs/forum/messages/msg_1) [function.fopen]: failed to create stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3548

Warning: flock(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3549

Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3550

Warning: fstat(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forum/include/core.inc on line 132

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3556

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3557

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php:3548) in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/fud/theme/default/post.php on line 3647

But the file does seem to get uploaded anyways.

The permissions on the directory are:

/usr/local/apache/htdocs/forum/messages
bash-2.05b# ls -al
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 512 Mar 14 00:52 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 nobody nobody 512 Mar 14 00:14 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root nobody 1506 Mar 14 00:52 msg_1

This should NOT be installed as world-writable. However, the problem seems related to the fact that root owns "msg_1" but the server id is "nobody" ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 March 2003 03:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installation Permissions Problems... [message #9200 is a reply to message #9186] Sun, 16 March 2003 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
To change the file permission to something more secure, use the File locking control panel to 'lock' the forum's files.

The forum does not have write permissions to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forum/messages/msg_1
hence the error. I suspect it does not have write permission to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forum/.

The file msg_1 should be owned by nobody:nobody like the rest of the forum files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Installation Permissions Problems... [message #9212 is a reply to message #9186] Mon, 17 March 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I encountered the same problem with the latest CVS code. As far as I can tell, the permissions are indeed correct:

drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 512 Mar 16 19:52 .
drwxrwxr-x 12 nobody nobody 512 Mar 16 15:19 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root nobody 1489 Mar 16 19:52 msg_1
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 0 Mar 16 15:46 private

How did the posting end up making "msg_1" owned by root. Either way, according to these (very insecure) directory permissions, it should have worked.

So what happened in this case, is it posted a message to the forum with just the SUBJECT I created, but minus the message body.

Something isn't right here.

Re: Installation Permissions Problems... [message #9213 is a reply to message #9186] Mon, 17 March 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems you must have the entire Forum in LOCKED mode before this will work. That makes sense, but it wasn't very obvious (and from the perms, it should have worked).

Re: Installation Permissions Problems... [message #9252 is a reply to message #9213] Tue, 18 March 2003 20:50 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually the forum should be unlocked, because the user who the import script is going to run as MUST be able to write to the msg_1 file. For test's sake, try to chmod the msg_1 file to 666 (giving everyone write permissions) and then try importing a message.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Can my board be reactivated?
Next Topic: Permission denied to GLOBALS
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 16:09:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02443 seconds