FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Show my posts link
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Show my posts link [message #14337 is a reply to message #14320] Wed, 12 November 2003 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hy2jinxnc is currently offline  hy2jinxnc   United States

"Show my posts" and "post notification" are unrelated unless one considers them/their use a certain way. "Post notification" is great in that it lets one know there is a reply to their post and lets one go right to the topic and post in question. However it requires being able to monitor one's email.

If one prefers not to have such things coming to their email - low storage due to email viruses, only have email at work, email service is not reliable, just because, etc; it can be hard, in a forum that generates an average of 150 posts per hour for example, to wade through current discussions to first find the topic and then your past post to see if anyone has replied to it.

However, I, and others, have found that by looking up one's login name in Member Search and then clicking "Show all posts by..." one can quickly access topics one is involved in and see if there are any replies. Actually I think that having a tab in the user's profile that would show unread replies to the user's posts would be a nicer feature, but I assumed the "show my posts" link would be easier to implement because there is already a foundation for it.

Unread messages is not the same to me in that it simply shows everything that hasn't been seen, often with little context since quote-backs seem to be rare in pure (ie no nntp back-end that is the primary form of access) forums. Not to mention it can be rather lengthy to wade through in a high volume forum. I do think, though, that unread messages is a handy view to have in the case of a support forum or a low volume forum.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: From header when sending to mailing list
Next Topic: Holiday mode/ Disable mail notifications
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]