FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » FUDForum 3.0 SQL errors with SQLite
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: FUDForum 3.0 SQL errors with SQLite [message #160733 is a reply to message #160731] Sat, 17 October 2009 15:02 Go to previous message
dewaard is currently offline  dewaard   Netherlands

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

I have little knowledge of IPv6, beyond what is left in my long term memory from the times I have casually read about it over the years. While IPv4 blocks might be running out, we are not quite there yet by a long stretch and I don't know of anyone using IPv6-only in production for server websites.

When I started doing serious programming little over ten years ago, I used PHP as my main language for web scripting. Parallel to the development of PHP 5 in 2003/2004 I started looking for a way out and eventually went for Python. While I continued maintaining legacy PHP code until the end of 2004 (and played around with PHP 5) that code was rewritten with a clean slate in Python.

So this incident is the first time I have touched PHP in over four years. If there was a viable, production-ready web forum application written in Python (or even Ruby) I would've used that, because I'm a lot more familiar with these languages and simply don't enjoy working with PHP that much.

This is by no means intended to bash PHP or argue its inferiority in any way (although it would not be my *personal* language of choice, applications like FUDForum clearly prove it is possible to write clean code in PHP). That, however, doesn't take away the fact that I don't feel confident in making larger changes to existing code without investing a lot of time in understanding the internals of FUDForum and rehashing my knowledge of PHP.

So while I'm happy to make small contributions that scratch my own itch I don't feel comfortable with making larger improvements to FUDforum (especially as I got lost in the FUDforum internals while trying to fix this issue in the first place, until you pointed me to the source of the issue).
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: GLOBALS.php not created on installation
Next Topic: Step 2 installation error PLEASE HELP!!!
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 12:04:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03858 seconds