FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » Problems converting modified WWWboard to FUD
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Problems converting modified WWWboard to FUD [message #162113 is a reply to message #162111] Fri, 19 March 2010 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
parocks is currently offline  parocks   United States
It sort of works. It fixes the date problem, but it creates another different problem.

It tries to fix another problem, which I guess would be called the "anonymous coward" problem - and it moves toward a fix but doesn't quite get there.

The way it worked before is whenever someone didn't add an email,
their userid would be changed to anonymous coward, or whatever you chose to put in there.

What is happening now is the userids are recorded somehow, but the way it's processed by a different part of the fudforum software doesn't work.

Let's say the first person who didn't use an email was called
"John Smith" and he left his email blank. Every time fudforum sees a blank email, it puts "John Smith" as the "anonymous coward".

I think it would work a little better if fudforum would look first at userid instead of email in determining what to put up there on the screen. But I think that's not really something that a converter program could really solve.

it's possible, maybe, to put in a unique, fake, email when the converter sees a blank email? The converter sees "John Smith"
and nothing for an email, and puts in "John Smith" and "fake00001 @fake.com" The converter sees "Jane Doe" and nothing for an email, and puts in "Jane Doe" and "fake00002 @fake.com".
If John Smith posts 50 times, the converter would give him 50 different fake @fake.com emails. The consistency checker would be able to clear that up. I don't know if that's doable, but if it was it could possibly be able to clear that up.

Another note is that the screen you get when the program is running is a big improvement. It makes things a lot easier. 1) you know the program is running and you can see the progress and what the program is doing. 2) When you have an error in your message, the program will tell you exactly which message has an error in it, and you can easily fix the problem.

Good job overall! Thanks.

naudefj wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 12:21
OK, here's the updated version:
sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fudforum/changeset/4926

It loads 11.htm, but it fails on 1.htm - probably because you edited it. I've also successfully tested it with Bester's messages (first post of thread).

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message