FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Post 2.6.0 TODO
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Post 2.6.0 TODO - email message format [message #16447 is a reply to message #16435] Fri, 30 January 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
IP logging is for the most part pointless. For example I have a DSL connection, which means that everytime I connect/disconnect my IP changes. Moreover, even if I stay connected 24/7 my IP would still change once a day. Most DSL providers also have many different IP masks, meaning that you can't even ban me by a small mask, without banning an entire ISP with tens of thousands (if not hundred thousands) of users. Bottom line is that very few people have static IPs, so tracking them is pretty pointless.

That said in 2.6.1, clicking on the user's IP beside the post will give you a lot more information and allow you to actually see all IPs used by a certain user and also find users by IP.

--- Point #2 ---

Unless you choose to manually confirm every account, waiting for an e-mail confirmation before showing the user's info is mostly pointless. Trolls will usually have >1 e-mail address and will be able to confirm the account easily. Since 'newest user' data is cached, by the time the cache is refreshed in most cases new account is already confirmed anyway.

--- Point #3 ---

I am suprised to hear win32 would mangle a simple URL, I have not see any reports to this effect previusly. Perhaps the issue is similar to the one some KDE's Kmail users experience where e-mail client would pre-open URLs inside the e-mail effectively confirming the user automatically. The effect is when they click on the confirmation URL they get an error since the account is already confirmed.
The only way to 'handle' this would be have the form be less automatic and actually require some user input such as a password before confirming the account. However, I'd like to know the scope of the problem and be able to confirm it myself (see the problem in real life) before applyng any fixed.

FUDforum Core Developer
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message