FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Permissions by rank and group (Add rank to permissions parameters - earn access)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Permissions by rank and group [message #166288 is a reply to message #166275] Fri, 28 October 2011 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
I'd love to but don't quite have a grasp on coding for FUDforum yet. I could help with the thought processes though.

Here's what I have thought through so far:

Would it make sense to have option to set minimum rank on each permission? Minimum rank to view / read, minimum rank to post, minimum rank to make polls, etc, so they could each be different? Use drop-down list of ranks, with the rank selection overriding the simple yes/no selection in the form?

There would likely be table changes involved. I am still unsure on how the tables all relate to each other for security but it might be possible to handle the whole thing by adding a level id field to the group_cache table. I don't know if the routine that reads the group_cache table to determine what a user can do takes the total of the option binary codes or reads each one individually, and how the rank could factor into that. Since it would have to be an option on top of the normal permissions, it should be checked as a secondary function if the use of ranks for forum access is turned on.

Need a modification to the adm panel for the ranks to turn on using ranks for forum access. Don't know yet what files would have to change.

Need a modification to the adm group and userland group cp to allow selection of minimum rank for access - perhaps change the simple yes/no lookup tables for the options as I mentioned above to look up the ranks if the rank access option is on, and if a rank is selected it's a yes and if one isn't it's a no for the option field.

Or something...

<edit> am I missing the boat regarding how the group tables relate to forum permissions?

One further thought - some of the forum-rating sites say that FUDforum lacks "hidden" forum capability. I am guessing that is partly if not entirely because there doesn't appear to be a way to control visibility of categories. This suggested feature would likely address that as well, by bringing the access security to the category level. </edit>

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2011 14:09]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: list all smilies on the same page
Next Topic: button location