FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Getting a list of unread subscribed postings
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17796 is a reply to message #17781] Mon, 19 April 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
Ilia wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 19:53

If you click on the "unread messages" link it'll display all the messages you have not yet read. You can then click on one or both of the "subscribed" links at the top, which will then only show the unread messages inside the topics/forums you are subscribed to.

I have seen and tried this, but the complete semantics of this dialog is not really clear to me. I observed, that after clicking on "unread messages" and than twice on "Subscribed Forums" all the topics/messages were marked as 'read'.

So it seems, that looking at "unread messages" has, at least under certain circumstances, the side effect that all is marked 'read'. Clearly, this way it is very easy to overlook something.

I'd prefer a logic which clearly separates two things:
  1. showing the list of unread topics/messages
  2. reading the content

and having a topic/message only marked read if step 2 is explicitely taken. In some sense step 1 gives just a list of tasks and doesn't change the state of the system.

In this spirit I wrote the initial proposal, to have a dialog similar to the 'subscription list' in the profile, combined with a colored indicatior similar to the 'unread PM' one.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to Change User Profiles Globally
Next Topic: News readers and FudForum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-