FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » manually create/manage new themes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: some really important questions [message #17914 is a reply to message #17913] Sun, 25 April 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
About theme management
Citat:

The permission issue can be mostly resolved by "unlocking files" option in the admin control panel. Doing so will reset the forum's file permissions in such a way as to allow manual access to them.

I've reviewed this setting and it said, in large red text, that my files were currently unlocked. To make sure that they were really unlocked I used the feature to unlock them. After doing so I went back to the theme management and tried creating a new theme based on default. The result was exactly the same as the one I stated in the initial message in this thread.

Your answer then was that
Citat:

This is not a forum bug, but rather how PHP/Apache works. The installer is being ran from PHP/Apache and consequently all files created via the web are owned by PHP/Apache. There is no way to avoid that, unless your ISP uses PHP-CGI in which case PHP runs under your user.

... and later you said
Citat:

Creating a theme manually is not something I would advise doing

Which is your recommendation to me on how to manage themes?
What's left if there's no way around the PHP/Apache limitation that makes it impossible to use the theme management in admin control panel and creating them manually is not recommended?

If you feel a sence of desperation in my questions you're probably right. I really hope that there is a solution that I have overlooked but hopelessness is starting to set in...

Is it a prerequisite for FUDforum that my "ISP uses PHP-CGI"? I haven't found anything in the documentation about system requirements other than regarding versions of PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL.

About installation
Citat:

While there have been problems in the past with safe_mode installs, if you follow the instructions listed in the installer to the letter you should be able to go through it without any difficulties. The only tricky part is the creation of the initial directory.

I did, in fact, follow the instructions in the manuals installation chapter to the point. Since safe_mode is enamled I created a temporary folder named install, copied the install.php file there and ran it from that URL. Neither forum data root nor server root resdes in or as decendant to install/. Did I overlook or misinterprete anything?

By the way, there is an interpretation/language issue with the manual when it comes to the chapter http://fudforum.org/doc/d/html/install.script.html

First it says
Citat:

It is recommended to copy the script into the web directory where you intend to install the forum. To begin the installation of the forum, use your browser to access the install.php file.

... and then
Citat:

Important
If your PHP has safe_mode enabled, you'll see an indicator that it is enabled in red on top of the install wizard. If safe_mode is enabled, you CAN NOT use specify the directory where you've placed install.php as Server Root or Forum Data Root.

Firstly it would be an improvement if you in the inital quote could include a reference to the special case for safe_mode. You might add "This recommendation doesn't apply to users that have PHP safe_mode, see below."

Secondly the wording marked in red is strange. I think it would be wise to revise it into either "MUST NOT use" or "MUST NOT specify" since use and specify says the same thing.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to read new messages?
Next Topic: protect users against spam bots collecting emails
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 22:00:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05989 seconds