FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Can't find templates
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Can't find templates [message #20980 is a reply to message #20961] Sat, 06 November 2004 15:03 Go to previous message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
Quote:

I then tried to uninstall it manually (by removing the FUD files and directories, but I wasn't able to do that either, using my FTP client as well as the server file manager. I believe this to be a server problem.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the unix/linux family of operating systems, however the explanation for that is rather simple:
For security reasons, the web server (usually Apache) has its own user account on the server that allows the server manager to only give that user the minimum permissions that the web server needs.
For every customer the server admin usually makes another account on the server so that he/she can do the things in his/her user directory that the server admin allows him/her to do.

The problem that arises here is that when you log in through FTP/SSH/SCP/whatever, you have the permissions that the admin granted your user account - meaning you can delete all files you created since they were created by... you.
Once you run the FUDforum installation script and install the forum, those files however were created by the web server (!), meaning they were created with the permissions that the user was granted that the web server runs under.
Those files cannot be deleted by you since your user account simply doesn't have the permission to access the files that the webserver user created.
That's the reason why you can't access any files in the forum's directories and why you can't delete them either.

The uninstall script runs under the same user as the installation script however - which means that if the uninstallation script fails, the server admins most likely messed up.

In theory you should've been able to delete the files from the server file manager but maybe they made it so it runs under your personal user just as if you were logged in from FTP. What could help you here is a file manager that runs with the web server's permissions. There are a couple of those and even though I couldn't find any that allows recursive CHMOD or recursive deletion of directories they still might be useful for you.
I'd personally recommend http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/ since you can password-protect it, it's fast and it's only a single file.

-Abraxa
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Beginners question
Next Topic: how to put polls and 'who is online' info on frontpage
Goto Forum: