FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Customer complaint
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Customer complaint [message #22351 is a reply to message #22252] Sat, 29 January 2005 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ThomasL is currently offline  ThomasL   United States
FUDforum Core Developer: "That forum uses fairly dated version and has been very heavily customized."

In view of the heavy customization and the nature of the bugs (please read list below), what steps would you advise to upgrade without causing the loss or corruption of the data (posts, profiles, member list, etc.), or must the sysop sacrifice all the data and do a clean installation? The last upgrade caused more problems than it fixed, such as the loss of all the posts for one subtopic.

Like Kirk above, I too am a member of the Minneapolis Star Tribune FUDforum and not privy to the overall extent of the problems. In addition to the inconsistencies between members that he experienced, the bugs I've encountered have been cumulative and seemingly random, as follows (in the approximate order of their first appearance, with the most recent on top):

* FUDforum repeatedly does not accept username/password. This has happened to four other members that I know of, including the sysop's spouse. For the past month I've been unable to log in.

* After re-registering, FUDforum does not accept new username, although the new username appears on the members list. This has happened to three other members that I know of, including the sysop's spouse.

* When reading posts without logging in, FUDforum frequently delivers a blank page (nothing downloaded) when I click on the main forum page, on "Last posting," or on any of the page-number or page-name links. Blank pages now exceed normal pages, and I've gotten as many as 10 blank pages in succession.

* In the members list (in order by join date), there is a missing block of usernames (p.316, between the join dates of Thu, 01 January 1970 and Wed, 29 December 2004).

* Searching for some valid usernames with join dates in the missing block returns "NO SUCH USER." However, searching for other valid usernames in the missing block is successful.

* Some multi-page topics have no page-number links. From time to time, the links alternately reappear, disappear, etc. When they reappear, they may not show the correct page numbers.

* On multi-page topics, an up arrow to the previous page may be missing on the first post on the last page.

* Frequently, the table width exceeds the width of the screen slightly, so that the horizontal cell borders do not connect with the left vertical border, and scrolling right is necessary to read the ends of the lines of text.

* Once all table & cell borders disappeared for several successive days.

* Once I got two identical, successive pages in "Today's posts."

* A few times I received the error message: UNABLE TO WRITE TO SQL LOG FILE.

Note1: My list is associated only with my use of the topic Faith & Values at:
http://online.startribune.com/forum/index.php
Scroll down to Talk Index and click on Loose Talk Too => Faith and Values

Note2: This is my first post here. On the Star Trib FUDforum, I could log in using session cookies only. I don't like the fact that on this version I have to accept all cookies. What is the reason for that?
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [img] - PHP injection??!!
Next Topic: E-mail confirmation problem
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 06:09:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13849 seconds