FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » I would like mathml support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: I would like mathml support [message #22397 is a reply to message #13345] Tue, 01 February 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous   France
Computer scientists have their own features for presenting code already implemented, this isn't fair ;) Let other sciences have their own features :)

One might want to check ASCIIMath Editor...

http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimatheditor/

It reads either latex syntax or simplified math expressions written in pure ascii and produces MathML.

What could be done is implement a new tag, say [Math] to denote formulas written in ASCIIMAth syntax. Then, at page presentation time, the forum could convert this into a MathML object via ASCIIMath.

Or maybe something more general : define a new tag [object=type (options)] to allow embedding of an arbitrary object. Then the types supported inside a particular forum would be declared by the administrator (MathML, flash, VML, some strange XML dialect to represent molecules for chemistry etc.) along with the script used to process them at page reading time.

That way there would not be support for MathML where it isn't needed (thus speeding things up) and the admin could allow objects on an per-type basis.

The next step would be to allow a plug-in system for graphical editors (equation editors in my mind), written in javascript.

What do you think ?
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message