FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Newsgroup Manager - How to sychronize only postings from known users?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Newsgroup Manager - How to sychronize only postings from known users? [message #27880 is a reply to message #27863] Thu, 29 September 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
icarus is currently offline  icarus   Germany

Hi!

Ilia schrieb am Do, 29 September 2005 00:42

You can grab the patch from here:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=7356

Thanks!
Zitat:

Can you explain your other request a bit more clearly, I am not quite certain what are you asking there.

Okay, no problem. By now a user can decide if he wants his (or her) e-mail address to be shown in the forum or not. There is a switch in his personal settings for this.

But when a forum is synchronized with a newsgroup then in the newsgroup the mail address of the user appears in the from-header - independently from this switch. So maybe a spammer could grab this mail address.

The solution: If the user wants his mail address not to be shown the from-header in the news posting should not contain his real address but a faked one that the administrator can define in the forum settings.

Best would be if in the real name-part of the from-header the username would appear so that a newsgroup visitor sees who posted it.

That means for example:
- A user has the username "big hero", his mail address is "superman(at)realcooldomain(dot)tld"
- He doesn't want the mail address to be shown in the forum (he doesn't want spam)
- When the forum posting is synchronized to the newsgroup then the from-header would be:
"big hero <superman(at)realcooldomain(dot)tld>" (so a spammer could misuse it)
- With my proposed patch the from-header would look like this:
"big hero <fake(at)fakeadress(dot)tld>"

Really best would be if the user could define a special address for newsgroup postings. So he could define two addresses in his personal settings. One that he polls regularly (and that is used for notifications) and one that is used for the newsgroup postings (e.g. "mail address for newsgroups"). Maybe that is a faked one. Maybe that is - like I normally do - an address with very extremly spam rules. (When I post to newsgroups i use an address at despammed.com)

If that field isn't used the (new) field from the general settings would be used.

One final proposal: If the user really could define two mail addresses then it would be really, really great if these two addresses where used for the check for the username when he posts directly to the newsgroup.

That means for example:
- Our "big hero" normally post to newsgroups with the address "spammeifyoulike(at)despammed(dot)tld". But for real use he uses "superman(at)realcooldomain(dot)tld".
- He setup both mail addresses in his personal forum settings.
- Now he posts with a regular newsreader to the newsgroup
- When the nntp synchronizer now reads his postings it takes a look in the two fields where a user can define mail addresses
- In the "mail address for newsgroups" setting it founds the address "spammeifyoulike(at)despammed(dot)tld" so it knows its "big hero" who posted it.

I hope I could explain it now more clearly?

Thx!

Michael
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help! Yahoo! Sent my confirmation mail to Bulk!
Next Topic: Will FUDforum do what I want?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:00:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04690 seconds