FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » any good way to hide individual topics (trying to kill SPAM in nntp linked forum!)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: any good way to hide individual topics [message #36141 is a reply to message #36132] Wed, 07 March 2007 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rdthoms is currently offline  rdthoms   United States
That was the advice I found searching the boards here. However that does not seem to work for nntp linked boards.

I have four forums linked to four newsgroups. I am currently moving the entire "SPAM" threads to a hidden "Trash" forum. That works fine and now the thread is hidden from the users.

However, it seems that when the nntp sync runs that it will never try to match a new message up to a thread in the hidden forum (i.e., it only attempts to match messages to threads in the newsgroup forum). So any later newsgroup replies to the spam end up as NEW threads in the newsgroup forum.

I can understand why this would be - you don't want to search through ALL of the forums just to try to find a match.

I like your earlier idea of disapproving a message. I'm thinking of modifying the end of the parse_msg function in nntp.inc

if (!($nntp_adm->nntp_opt & 1)) {
  fud_msg_edit::approve($msg_post->id);
}

to

psuedo code:
$reply_to_msg_id = message id that this message is a reply to
$reply_to_msg_is_approved = 1 if $reply_to_msg_id has apr=1

if ( !($nntp_adm->nntp_opt & 1) && ($reply_to_msg_is_approved)) {
  fud_msg_edit::approve($msg_post->id);
}

Then I hope that any nntp replies to disapproved messages are automatically disapproved.

Does that sound like a good way to tackle this?

I don't have any experience with oop. I can hack up some sql queries to find $reply_to_msg_id and $reply_to_msg_is_approved but if you have any suggestions on the most efficient way to get that info I'd be glad to take it.

Thanks,
Richard

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message