FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Tips on installation for virtual domains
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Tips on installation for virtual domains [message #6272 is a reply to message #6249] Mon, 07 October 2002 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
patrick is currently offline  patrick   Netherlands
prottoss wrote on Sun, 06 October 2002 18:39

Well, I do test the install/upgrade script in safe_mode enviroment, so far I had not come across any problems.

Chowning the files away from webserver is actually a 'bad' thing, since it'll cause problems when you will try to upgrade.

Safe mode works by comparing the owner of the file and the files/directories it tries to open. Meaning that as long as forum's files are owned by the same user who is trying to open then you are ok.

I've reinstalled the software and all worked fine. You are correct about chowning. After my first install, two weeks ago, I noticed that the applications is creating and accessing files, it therefor requires the proper access. Chowning could disturb this.

Quote:

Now, safe_mode has no affect on the FTP, so you will able to download/upload files from your computer without problems. If you do encounter access problems, go to the Forum's Lock/Unlock control panel and Unlock the forum's files.

Through FTP I do not have access to e.g. the forum data directory. See below:

drwxr-xr-x   13 48       48           4096 Oct  7 12:07 forum_data

In this case user and group assigned to my forum_data directory are both '48' (apache). Through my 'admin' account I only have r_x access.
However, I did noticed that the 'File Administration System' option from the FUD Admin page does give me some access. (Probably everything I need.) I'm able to upload files and even chmod files!! (Understandable since the php-scripts run under the 'apache' account.)
However, I was surprised to be able to chmod files since I thought that this was not allowed when safe-mode is being used.

Thanks for all your support!!
Cheers, Patrick
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Failed opening required 'theme/default/index.php'