FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » HELP - messages disappeared after database repair
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
HELP - messages disappeared after database repair [message #158822] Wed, 01 April 2009 04:26 Go to next message
michiamano is currently offline  michiamano   United States
The database became corrupted and I ran the FUDForum admin routine.

On the advice of Bluehost's tech support, I also ran a repair on the database in PHPmyAdmin.

Now the forum comes up, forums are listed, shows message counts, but when you go into a forum, they all show 'no messages'.

I have only pretty lightweight mySQL skills and I don't even know where to start fixing this problem.

I have various recent backups - both from within FUDforum and an SQL dump done with PHPmyAdmin. These will be of the corrupted database, though.

Thanks for any advice on where to start.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 April 2009 04:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HELP - messages disappeared after database repair [message #158823 is a reply to message #158822] Wed, 01 April 2009 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Message bodies are stored on disk, not in the database. Check if they are still there (FUDdata/messages directory). If required, restore them from a recent backup.
Re: HELP - messages disappeared after database repair [message #158824 is a reply to message #158823] Wed, 01 April 2009 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michiamano is currently offline  michiamano   United States
naudefj wrote on Wed, 01 April 2009 05:15
Message bodies are stored on disk, not in the database. Check if they are still there (FUDdata/messages directory). If required, restore them from a recent backup.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that but I suspect that the problem lies in the database, not the message store, since the problem followed after a failed attempt to repair the corrupted database.

Any other suggestions?
Re: HELP - messages disappeared after database repair [message #158825 is a reply to message #158824] Wed, 01 April 2009 13:26 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Maybe it wasn't just your DB that got corrupted. Please check and let us know. I would also like to know what version of FUDforum you're using and what "admin routine" you followed.

To trace the message path:

1. Pick a message and write down its message number (look for something like "message #528" in the header).

2. Query the file_id and offset where the message is stored. For example:

SELECT file_id, foff, length FROM fud28_msg WHERE id = 528;
10000	976757	2092

3. Look for the file with the selected file_id in your messages directory - in our case msg_10000.

4. Check if the file contains the message body at the selected offset:

$ od -a -j 976757 -b 2092  msg_10000

Best of luck.

Frank
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: NNTP Server Message Cancellation
Next Topic: How-To Upgrade to New Version
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 11:18:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02023 seconds