FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Emailing to FUD forum ?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161632] Fri, 22 January 2010 04:14 Go to next message
newbie.john is currently offline  newbie.john
In the Mailing List Manager it talks about "matched against an existing forum user".

How is this match done please ? Does it match the name of the sender with a poster name in the forum ? Or does it check the email address of the emailer with forum member's email address' ?

Or something different ?

Also, how does the reverse work ? FUD forum people sending messages to the emailing list ?

Lastly, is one able to limit posting to FUD forum to only "authorised" people ?

Can someone here help me with these questions please ?

Thanks.

Regards, John.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161635 is a reply to message #161632] Fri, 22 January 2010 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
It will try to identify user by email. If user was not found via email, try to look the user up by login.

Why don't you test it? It will take minutes and you'll see that it in fact does what you thought it should.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161637 is a reply to message #161635] Fri, 22 January 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"In the Mailing List Manager it talks about "matched against an existing forum user".

How is this match done please ? Does it match the name of the sender with a poster name in the forum ? Or does it check the email address of the emailer with forum member's email address' ?

Or something different ?"

naudefj wrote on Fri, 22 January 2010 00:35
It will try to identify user by email. If user was not found via email, try to look the user up by login.

Thank you. "Try to look the user up by login" ? I take it that you mean see if the email name is the same as the web member name ?

"Also, how does the reverse work ? FUD forum people sending messages to the emailing list ?

Lastly, is one able to limit posting to FUD forum to only "authorised" people ?"

Why don't you test it? It will take minutes and you'll see that it in fact does what you thought it should.

Well, I don't have FUD installed, so I cannot test my copy. As far as "authorised" posting, it seems that anyone can post here. One just needs to "register". I certainly wouldn't want spammers, scammers etc. registering on a forum I ran. That's why I would want to restrict posting to people I have "authorised" first. Is that possible ?

Regards, John.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161645 is a reply to message #161637] Sat, 23 January 2010 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
newbie.john wrote:

Thank you. "Try to look the user up by login" ? I take it that you mean see if the email name is the same as the web member name ?

Nope, it checks the e-mail address against that of the forum members.

newbie.john wrote:
Lastly, is one able to limit posting to FUD forum to only "authorised" people ?

Yes, RTFM. Everything is on the wiki.

Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161648 is a reply to message #161645] Sun, 24 January 2010 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 14:50
Yes, RTFM. Everything is on the wiki.

Well, if it is then I missed it. I see such things as "add and remove users from a group as well as set permissions for individual users". But I don't see anything about banning everyone from posting to a forum unless they are "authorised".

If that info is in the wiki I sure would like to know where.

(1) Essentially what I want to do is have a "moderated" forum. Where nobody can join until after I have approved their subscription.

The terms used in the wiki such as "Custom Avatar Queue" mean nothing to me. I simply want to know in plain English whether what I want to do is doable.

Can someone here answer my (1) question please ? Does the "yes" above mean that I can get what I am wanting ? Thanks.

Regards, John.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161650 is a reply to message #161648] Sun, 24 January 2010 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
See Account Approval or if you require something more "sophisticated", Groups Manager.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161654 is a reply to message #161648] Sun, 24 January 2010 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   
newbie.john wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 17:35
(1) Essentially what I want to do is have a "moderated" forum. Where nobody can join until after I have approved their subscription.

Yes, it's in the Admin control panel.

Quote:
General Settings
New Account Moderation:
Whether or not every new registration will need to be approved by the administrator before the new account is activated.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161656 is a reply to message #161654] Sun, 24 January 2010 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 04:08
newbie.john wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 17:35

Quote:

Quote:
General Settings
New Account Moderation:
Whether or not every new registration will need to be approved by the administrator before the new account is activated.

Excellent. That looks like what I want. Thank you. Smile

Regards, John.
Re: Emailing to FUD forum ? [message #161657 is a reply to message #161656] Sun, 24 January 2010 22:53 Go to previous message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   
newbie.john wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 14:34

kerryg wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 04:08

Quote:
General Settings
New Account Moderation:

Excellent. That looks like what I want. Thank you. Smile

Regards, John.

Glad that helps. A further note on nested quotes: I've tidied up the nesting of your quotes in my response here - basically YOU are quoting ME who is quoting the CONTROL PANEL, so when I quote it back to you, the hierarchy goes like this conceptually (with each + representing an opening of a quote and each - representing a closing):

+ newbie john said
++ that kerryg said
+++ that the manual said

and then I'm done so you close quotes twice:
--- that's that's the end of what kerryg quoted from the manual
-- and that's also the end of what kerryg said
(and then you closed with a salutation)
- and that's the end of what you said

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Emailing FUD forum posts ?
Next Topic: NNTP access etc. to FUDforums ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 05:31:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02716 seconds